The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old March 13, 2013, 10:09 PM   #1
Crankgrinder

Saddle stock

Hi folks. I got my AR kit put together in the last few weeks pics on their way. I have a weaver 2x10x38 scope on it with a small red dot on top of it. I am thinking of getting either a saddle stock to go on it or an attachmet which turns my std. 6 pos. stock into one that they sell on amizon. Are they any good? how well do they improve cheek weld or are they junk?
Old March 14, 2013, 07:39 AM   #2
Mobuck

And the need for "a small red dot on top" is???
I can't really think of any situation in which a red dot stuck on top of the regualr scope would improve aiming. A 2x scope properly positioned would do for close range. If it's closer than I can use 2x, I'll just point and pull.
Old March 14, 2013, 05:43 PM   #3
Crankgrinder

The red dot is detachable and may or may not stay there. I was not asking about it but thanks anyway.
Old March 14, 2013, 08:25 PM   #4
BerdanSS

They do improve cheek weld somewhat. I got a knock off Chinese made attachment similar to this one at a gun show:

It fit VERY tight and actually took some of the wobble out of the stock, it was worth the money I gave for it (think it was about $8). They basically are attempting to turn the regular stock into a SOPMOD stock. All I use now on my ARs is the 2nd Gen LMT SOPMODS. Ever lower I have is wearing one now.

If it were me, I'd just save the money and use the ol M4 collapsible till I had saved enough to buy a Vltor Emod or SOPMOD. I got my last 2nd Gen Sopmod used for $75 shipped in like new condition in a different forum's classifieds. None of them how ever, do anything to help with a high mounted (carry handle or high ring) scope. For that I'd get a clip on or lace up riser. Hope that helps.
Old March 17, 2013, 07:32 PM   #5
raimius

"one they sell on amizon" doesn't help us very much. Amazon.com has a WIDE variety of products!
Old March 17, 2013, 09:39 PM   #6
Crankgrinder

wish i had a more exact description, the one i saw looks just like the one depicted above only theirs was like thirty dollars or so. mainly just wanted to know about how it helps handling with a scope is all. My ar has a flattop upper and uses a cantilever mount to provide eye relief