The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old December 21, 2012, 12:16 PM   #26
wogpotter

What? Speak up, I can't hear you!

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old December 21, 2012, 03:02 PM   #27
vba

Just shoot a .308 or .30-06 without hearing protection and it will be the same result. Did it once by accident, never again!
Old December 21, 2012, 03:54 PM   #28
Erno86

With or without muzzle brakes...the shorter the barrel, the louder the blast. The M44 Mosin Carbine...is a loud mouth fire breathing dragon. Stick with ear protection, or you'll possibly wind-up suffering tinnitus for decades; like I've had.

Ear plugs, by themselves, are not that effective --- because their is a cartilage bone in your ear flap's --- that transmits noise vibration to your eardrum; which if loud enough...can cause hearing damage. At our range...even totally deaf people wear hearing protection; cuz they still can rupture there eardrums --- just like you and me.

Headphones along with earplugs...are needed for such cartridges such as the 300 RUM with muzzle brake, {which that the --- muzzle brake ---- amplifies the sound, and is banned on certain guided professional hunts in Africa} on up past the 50 BMG.

Last edited by Erno86; December 21, 2012 at 04:27 PM.
Old December 21, 2012, 04:58 PM   #29
Onward Allusion

Quote:
tahunua001
if you can afford electronic earplugs then by all means buy them for hunting however for the 90% of us that can't afford them we hunt without ear plugs despite the danger that it poses to our hearing. the report from a 91/30 is no greater than a 30-06 or 223.
$2 for earplugs. $30 bucks for electronic earmuffs. About $80 for an inexpensive pair of electronic earplugs. Good hearing - priceless.

Hearing damage is cumulative. One additional shot can put one over the edge and have them suffering from tinnitus. I know, 'cause it happen to me. I inadvertently shot a 22LR round from a rifle one day at the club and heard ringing immediately. The ringing faded but never completely went away from that point forward. I now double up with earplugs and earmuffs to prevent any additional damage.
Old December 22, 2012, 11:00 AM   #30
jjyergler

I'm no expert,

I bet its just as loud as without hearing protection.
Hi Standard Supermatic Citation .22LR - Tincans Beware
Old December 24, 2012, 12:49 PM   #31
ndking1126

Quote:
I bet its just as loud as without hearing protection.
Haha, that's what I'm talking about. Good one.

I agree, there's no reason to shoot without hearing protection, even when hunting. If its a once in a lifetime chance that requires an immediate shot, I10 guess its your hearing.. but rarely do you not have an extra 10-15 seconds to get hearing protection on before taking the shot.
Old December 24, 2012, 03:10 PM   #32
shredder4286

I got a $5 pair of the wrap-around kind of ear plugs that you can pop in your ears quickly if you've spotted and animal and are preparing to shoot. You just reach down with one hand and pop them in each ear- only takes about 3 seconds.
Old December 24, 2012, 04:06 PM   #33
tahunua001

Quote:
$2 for earplugs. $30 bucks for electronic earmuffs. About $80 for an inexpensive pair of electronic earplugs. Good hearing - priceless.
I want to know who here is capable of hearing a deer sneak through the woods with earplugs in? really? I must just be a hillbilly and live in a backwater area because nobody I know that has ever been hunting has used earplugs while hunting and if I ever saw someone wearing them I would probably laugh so loud that I'd scare off all the game anyway.

now I have heard of electronic earplugs that allow you to hear normally but filters out gunshots but last I knew they were several hundred dollars a pair.
Old December 24, 2012, 05:44 PM   #34
wogpotter

Depending on how you adjust them they can hear better than "reg'lar hearin' & they're nowhere near hunnrets of dollahs.

You have been able to to get mechanical plugs with normal audio till there is a sound over 85dB for under 25 bucks too & they dont even need batteries.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old December 24, 2012, 10:30 PM   #35
BerdanSS

Too loud, BELIVE ME. Not as loud as my 98 K but.......
Old December 25, 2012, 12:26 PM   #36
DFrame

Very loud. For some reason the russian ammo seems to have little or no flame supressant in it. Most blast a huge fireball in front of the gun.
Old December 25, 2012, 12:46 PM   #37
Mobuck

"I dunno how loud. Never shot one without protection "
I've never shot a MN POS but I've shot a lot of 30/06 w/o ear protection. Good Lord, people back in the beginning of time(before ear plugs) everyone shot everything w/o ear protection. I'm not saying it was right or good, but we didn't know any better.
There seems to be a whole generation of shooters who have never fired a gun outside of a range or controlled environment.
Old December 25, 2012, 01:03 PM   #38
Mrgunsngear

Quote:
With or without muzzle brakes...the shorter the barrel, the louder the blast. The M44 Mosin Carbine...is a loud mouth fire breathing dragon. Stick with ear protection, or you'll possibly wind-up suffering tinnitus for decades; like I've had.

Agreed. The M44 will chatter your teeth if they're clenched when you fire it. It's awesome
Old December 25, 2012, 01:05 PM   #39
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahunua001 View Post
I want to know who here is capable of hearing a deer sneak through the woods with earplugs in? really? I must just be a hillbilly and live in a backwater area because nobody I know that has ever been hunting has used earplugs while hunting and if I ever saw someone wearing them I would probably laugh so loud that I'd scare off all the game anyway.

now I have heard of electronic earplugs that allow you to hear normally but filters out gunshots but last I knew they were several hundred dollars a pair.
Last you heard must have been a LONG, LONG time ago.

I have a pair of Radians that I bought at least 7 or 8 years ago. They cost around $125 and they weren't the cheapest available.

Now days, virtually any outdoor store has models starting around $30 or less. I bought a set from Dicks, about 2 years ago, that cost about $25. They work very well.

Hunting without hearing protection isn't even an option for me. I forgot my electronic muffs once last year and just took a nap at camp. No way am I doing more damage than has already been done.
Old December 25, 2012, 01:11 PM   #40
TheGoldenState

it'll cause ringing-which is the damage.

Search the forum, there are accounts of ONE or two times causing tinnitus.

$0.99 will get you push in ear plugs.
Old December 25, 2012, 01:17 PM   #41
Toney

What? Speak up can't here ya
Old December 25, 2012, 01:48 PM   #42
jmfc606

Don't shoot ANYTHING without hearing protection. You'll pay for it later gaurenteed!
Old December 25, 2012, 02:28 PM   #43
jimherb

If you shoot it enough, you won't need hearing protection.
Old December 26, 2012, 12:15 AM   #44
johnwilliamson062

There is really only one way to answer this question.

Some things aren't worth the chase.

The incredible thing is military in the US and other countries never care about hearing protection. I have a buddy who as an officer did live fire excercises in a concrete block basement with no hearing protection circa 2008. He would always have ringing afterwards and didn't worry about it. Of course they also never used their hip belts.

I don't think hearing protection was issued in WWII.
Unless electronic I don't want to wear it anywhere but the range. I try to keep a foam plug in my right ear though.
Old December 26, 2012, 12:49 AM   #45
paknheat

It's pretty friggin loud, but then again so is an '06 or a 7 mag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old December 26, 2012, 02:05 AM   #46
Aaron1100us

My Tiger shoots the 7.62x54R and its loud even with ear protection. The only thing I shoot without ear protection is a .22 rifle. My Wife's Walther P22 with CCI Stingers is even too loud to not have hearing protection.

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk 2
Old December 26, 2012, 02:17 PM   #47
Erno86

Shoot the Mosin without hearing protection?...And you'll likely wind-up in the same condition as our range alley cat, named Homer --- DEAF.
Old December 28, 2012, 12:03 AM   #48
Tom68

Johnwilliamson, sorry but I've just got to reply to your comment that the US Military doesn't care about hearing protection. While I cannot relate to your buddy's experience, I attended Basic/AIT in 1990 and have been an Army Officer since 1992... and hearing protection has ALWAYS been stressed any time live fire was conducted. So much, that at times I felt that the establishment was getting a little carried away... I mean, ear plugs in a case was a required part of my uniform back when we still wore BDUs. Today, I rarely see anyone with an earplug case hung from ACU, but then again, I haven't been to a range in 15 years that the organization running it did not have a large box full of foam earplugs and a Safety NCO badgering everyone to use them.

One experience, though, that while it was a lesson in hearing protection... it probably did not have the blessing of the Infantry School: During a class during my Infantry Officer Basic Course we were being taught call for fire procedures. When my platoon arrived, we were told to get into the bleachers and then the instructor began his presentation. We all noticed the M109 155mm howitzer parked 50 yard in front of us.... and I guess we all thought it was a prop for the class. When the instructor noted that this particular howitzer is in a posture which you do NOT want, that being the barrel depressed to zero mils elevation in preparation for firing canister at oncoming enemy infantry.... his presentation was rudely interrupted by the loudest boom we had ever heard: his next remark was, "oh yeah, I was just about to tell you.... hearing protection is required on this range". Great lesson... but still, thanks a lot!

back on topic though, my hearing is tested every couple of years, and I am showing some signs of hearing loss. While I am certain that my government has my best interests at heart, I am equally sure that they want to limit future VA claims as best as possible.
Old December 28, 2012, 12:22 AM   #49
Deja vu

Where I hunt frequently you only get about 1 second to make the shot (short range in heavy brush) in such a hunt quickly slipping on hearing protection is not an option.

Ideally I think a silencer would be about perfect... that said I think the next best option is wearing electronic hearing protection.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old December 29, 2012, 10:31 PM   #50
barnbwt

Quote:
I don't think hearing protection was issued in WWII.
Ya'know, they did a lot of stupid stuff back in WWII, that doesn't mean we should continue it

I recall reading an article fairly recently about hearing loss being the number one (or thereabouts) factor in medical/disability claims for former servicemen. The military (or at least their beancounters) certainly do care they're on the hook for expensive prosthetics for the rest of those guys' lives.

Quote:
Where I hunt frequently you only get about 1 second to make the shot (short range in heavy brush) in such a hunt quickly slipping on hearing protection is not an option.
Just be aware of the deer/hearing transaction that has just taken place in such a scenario, and make sure it is truly worth it for you. That's all us hearing-protection advocates have a right to demand. I personally would only risk my ears to save my life (my analogy is it is like shooting through your hand when you don't wear protection).

TCB