The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old December 7, 2012, 12:10 PM   #1
chewie146

Mini Master?

Hey all,

I'm considering an NAA mini master for a trail gun. Any reviews, thought, experience, or other info out there for me? It's really between that and the Ruger Bearcat. I love Ruger, but the bearcat doesn't have adjustable sights. I don't want to go up to the size of a Single Six, as I have a great little Mark II that works well and is roughly the same size and weight. I don't need to replace the MKII, but I want a little .22 revolver. The Bearcat and NAA are in my price range, as well. The Smiths are great, but they're a bit on the high side for me now, and the used ones seem to command higher prices than the used ones. Suggestions?
Old December 7, 2012, 08:40 PM   #2
Bluelitenin

RE: mini master

I have a mini master that I bought about a year ago. I bought it because of its
Unique size. I really like it, it shoots well right out of the box. I have not needed
To adjust the sites. I have shot it at up to 25 yards. If you haven't had a NAA
Mini before they are different to load. The cylinder is held in with a locking pin
That is just below the barrel. You pull down on the knob and turn it 90 degrees,
Then slide the pin forward along the bottom of the barrel until it is completely free, then the cylinder is taken out of the frame. You can use the pin to push the
Shells out or any long skinny tool such as a pick or screwdriver. NAA is releasing
A new revolver in 22 mag that the cylinder swings out on a crane like a traditional revolver. It is called the sidewinder http://northamericanarms.com/sidewinder
It is scheduled for release Jan. 1st I believe. Laserlyte makes a small laser for the mini master. I think you would be pleased with the minimaster.
Old December 7, 2012, 10:09 PM   #3
zombieslayer

I'm a sucker for NAA mini's, I've wned several, currently have an engraved .22lr and a BP .22. They're cool, fun little guns. And for their size, they are decent shooters.
But they aren't even in the same league as a Bearcat, imo. Bearcat, to me, is the ultimate trail/woods gun, possibly.
Old December 8, 2012, 12:30 AM   #4
Edward429451

I own them both and the Bearcat is a way better trail gun. The NAA is a good gun and all that but for trail use get the Bearcat. The sights are non adjustable, true, but just find the ammo it likes and practice with it a lot. I've got quite a few head shots on squirrels using kentucky windage.
Old December 8, 2012, 11:56 AM   #5
seeker_two

I've always liked the Mini-Master concept. I hope NAA makes the MM in a Sidewinder configuration....that would be the bee's knees!....
Old December 8, 2012, 09:08 PM   #6
Biff Tannen

My advice is, you can't go wrong with an NAA mini.
They're fun to shoot, great BUGs, and even good primarys if you have nothing else available due to their concealability.
And they're also mighty inexpensive.
Have fun and play safe!
Old December 9, 2012, 12:42 PM   #7
chewie146

I've had the short.22 magnum, but sold it. I couldn't hit anything with it, and it was pretty pointless. However, I'm interested in the 4" version. I've also seen a vote for the bearcat. I saw on the NAA site that the sidewinder will be offered in a 4" version.