The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 18, 2011, 09:45 AM   #1
margiesex

Winny '88 feeding problems

Hello guys from the "Smithy" side of the forums! Usually, in fact all the time I'm discussing reloading - BUT I now have a problem I hope someone can help we with, or point me someplace.

I gave a young friend a Win. 88 lever in .308 that was given to me - I could never get it to shoot where I wanted, so the kid needed a good gun (I thought) that I could reload for him, and he could take deer here in PA.

For a while, not a problem - bought him a second mag. worked up a hunting load with Sierra gamekings, etc. And, as time wore on - ie the past 2 times he's been at the range, he can't get it to feed when he racks the lever.

Shells 'hang up' at an angle, seemingly catching in the chamber - while the rear end is still in the mag. 'flange' if you get me. I don't know, maybe a 30 degree (give or take) angle. Thought it may be my loads - all 'mike' to 2.75" - right where the Winchester 180 grain factory loads he bought measure as well.

Affects BOTH mags (thought that was it) - BOTH factory and reloads, AND I had a shorter 2.7" load - same thing.

Doesn't matter if it's the first out of the mag, or rechambering of another round.

Plus, the replacement mag is a real bear to remove, with or w/o shells.

Suggestions? I think I've covered all. Can reply to my private email if you'd like.

Thanks and God bless!

Margiesex
Old November 19, 2011, 02:00 AM   #2
bonesy malone

is it catching on the feed ramp or lack there of?...or is it popping up past the top of the breech?
Old November 19, 2011, 09:52 AM   #3
margiesex

I don't think so...

Bonsey,

Thanks for the reply, I don't think so, it seems to be clearing the "ramp" (if that's what you call it, it sure isn't much of one, but I would guess about 1/2 inch past the ramp.

Been thinking a lot about this, and unfortunately, I didn't keep the gun -duh - but I'm now wondering if the stock/receiver is set exactly correct - ie - possibly a bit loose, maybe causing the issue?

It has me stumped that's for sure.

Thanks, God bless.

Margiesex