The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 28, 2010, 07:40 AM   #1
ligonierbill

Temperature sensitivity

I know temperature extremes will affect powder performance, but I heard an interesting opinion at the range yesterday. Working up loads for the .338 with IMR 4350 and Re19, a fellow told me that IMR 4350 was much more sensitive to temperature. Anyone else hear this? We had a nice day in the 60's, and both powders did very well, with a very slight edge in consistency to the IMR.
Old March 28, 2010, 08:13 AM   #2
88KEYS

I have not used that powder but been loading a long time, have seen stuff over the years on the subject of how temp can effect powder. In most stuff that I recall they address the problem with going with a hotter or lighter primer. The temp changes that effect powder are for the most part extreme, like very hot or below freezing. I know the Military talks about it fighting all over the world.

I also know people that claim you should tip the gun in the air, and then slowly back to get the powder to set more even in the case. This is said to get a better burn, it could be but have not seen many shooters doing this.
The guy could have a point that powder is more sensitive, that could be a fact. I think for most of use the changes would have to be extreme to really have any difference for standard applications.

Just my view!
Old March 28, 2010, 08:17 AM   #3
N.H. Yankee

I have heard some powders are more temp sensitive and what it means is they will not produce as high a velocity in temperature extremes. I have also heard it may be harder to ignite.
Old March 28, 2010, 08:21 AM   #4
Osageshooter

I have used a lot of IMR 4350 over the years. It is a favorite. I can't say I have seen inconsistency, but I haven't been looking for it. Usually I load and test that load. Maybe in the summer. Then I do a final site in before hunting, and then take that load hunting. The temperatures may vary during hunting, but usually not all that much. I am not shooting at the range then, but shooting one shot at game. I don't think I ever took a load and compared it in the same gun on a day where the temperature was significantly different from another.

All that said, there is a lot out there about this and it looks to me like there is likely something to it. I have recently bought some H4350 and am working with it. I don't think I will be shy about working up a load IMR for deer hunting and using it if it is the best.
Old March 28, 2010, 10:52 AM   #5
338shooter

IMR 4350 will give slightly higher pressure and velocity at high ambient temperature and lower pressure and velocity at low temperature. It won't make a huge difference but enough to see on a chronograph. This phenomenon can be reduced by using Hodgdon's Extreme powders.