The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old February 17, 2010, 05:30 PM   #1
deedude

Mosin Nagant league

So I was at the range this weekend and noticed that out of the 10 firing points on my section one was empty and the other 9, including my own, were occupied by shooters with variations of MN rifles.

During a target change I quipped to the RSO that we should start a league. He chuckled at the idea. But I got to thinking that it may be somewhat viable and thought through the various possibilities of a hypothetical league:

Courses of fire would be modeled on NRA-Highpower rules.

Unlimited: Anything goes, as long as the receiver is a MN. Scopes, sporterization, etc is OK.

Stock-Finn: Original Finn (re)manufacture of MN and original sights only.

Stock-Russian: Original Russian or Soviet in stock configuration only.

In both cases of the stock class, the intent is to keep the playing field level by keeping the firearms in as close to as-issued configuration as possible.

Personally I think this would be very fun and affordable, though I'd like some feedback from TFL

~Deedude
Old February 17, 2010, 07:09 PM   #2
fortkevin2

That sounds pretty interesting. I always enjoy shooting the vintage rifle matches at the local rifle club.
Old February 18, 2010, 06:34 AM   #3
10-96

If it will get new shooters into the sport (and old shooters back into the sport), Man, I'd say Go fer it! There used to be 'farm league' (for lack of better term) shoots and matches around here. But, they let requirements slip, and the majority of the folks with the old family deer rifles who wanted to compete were disgruntled and turned off because a few guys were showing up with match style rifles, varmint glass, and such. After a while, they just stopped showing up and now there's just a few HP and Service Rifle matches with no lure for new (and the old) shooters.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old February 19, 2010, 11:05 PM   #4
ww2freak27

Sounds like a lot of fun. Gotta love the good ol' mosin nagants(especially shooting them)
Old February 19, 2010, 11:09 PM   #5
earlthegoat2

I dont know why MNs could not fit into a service rifle category.

The Service Rifle league at my range has Springfields and Garands, SMLEs, Mausers, and MNs.