The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 27, 2008, 08:51 PM   #1
3StrikesNC

Refinishing a Rifle due to Rust

So I inherited a Win 62A with some light surface rust as well as some pitted rusty areas. I need to file and sand the pitted areas down to eliminate it on the barrel and receiver.

I guess once this is done I'll send it off to be hot blued.

Any recommendations on my filing, sanding and who to send it to for re-bluing?

Remember, this is a 62A, all does not need to be perfect.

Thanks.
Old March 28, 2008, 03:43 PM   #2
George R

Hot Blue Prepared Guns

There's a smith in Yanceyville: The Firing Pin. Dan Printz Jr [email protected]. who I believe does hot blueing. I also do prepared guns, and there's a guy on either this site or The High Road, Big Arizona Al or Arizona Big Al or something like that who is half my price for prepared guns. Also, Mel Doyle in Idaho, used to advertise in Shotgun News, does prepared guns if he's still in business. Where in NC are you?
Old March 28, 2008, 07:43 PM   #3
Dfariswheel

Often, you're better off letting the re-finisher do the removal of the rust and pitting.
A GOOD re-finisher can often remove a surprising amount of pitting without making the gun look over-polished.

This type of work plus a GOOD blue job no longer comes cheap.
The upside is, the gun will look good instead of having that ugly "ground-on" look amateur re-finishers leave.

Here's some top re-finishers:

http://www.fordsguns.com/

http://www.rebelgunrefinishing.com/

http://www.elitecustomguns.com/

These people do it RIGHT. They have a lifetime of experience and skill development.
Old March 28, 2008, 11:36 PM   #4
T. O'Heir

If you're going to send it out for bluing anyway, take out all the springs and send only the parts you want blued. Get some estimates first though. You may find that having it professionally re-blued will cost more than the rifle is worth. The quality of any bluing job is entirely dependent on the prep work. The cost comes from the polishing of the steel(the prep work) being strictly hand work.
Do not file anything. It'll leave flat spots. Especially if the pitting is deep. Forget the pitting if it is deep.
A fine brass wire wheel in a bench grinder and a gentle touch will take off the surface rust without bothering the existing finish. 0000 steel wool and some oil will take it off if you don't have a bench grinder. Then just cold blue it with the paste bluing. Brownell's sells it. As do most gun shops.