The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old February 3, 2005, 08:28 AM   #1
Rojoe67

question on a single NEF

I have a 20 gauge NEF Tracker II. It is a lite single shot that seems to be the right size for my 13 year old son. This gun has rifle sights and a rifle barrel too. Would this work for a turkey gun for him. I wasn't sure if a guy could get a good patern with a #4 or #5 in 3". Will this damage the gun or have any bad effect on it? We would be working up a 25-30 yard max for a shot. If anyone can tell me if this idea is bad or good I would be thankful. I just thought since that gun is about his size would it be any good? If not I know I can find some fair price used singles in 20....

thanks for the info......
Old February 3, 2005, 10:19 AM   #2
Greybeard

It sounds to me like the best way to learn would be to buy two or three brands of premo (copper plated) turkey loads and help Jr. pattern the gun on some "Shoot'N See" turkey head targets.

Or ... FWIW, Remington's (rather pricey) Hevi-Shot was developed somewhat for the purpose and often throws some awsome patterns for the greatest distance. You might also want to do a search here in Shotgun forum. Some excellnet info out there about patterning for point of impact/point of aim.

Another thought ... You too might want to share some of the "test" shooting if it looks like Jr. is beginning to develop a flinch.
Old February 3, 2005, 03:45 PM   #3
Rojoe67

thanks for load info......

Thanks for the info on load....... What is your thought of shooting that Tracker II - NEF for a first time - first year turkey gun? I was unsure if it would be safe for both hunter and gun??? not to sure?
Old February 4, 2005, 10:31 PM   #4
beenthere

NEF Tracker II

The NEF's I have require that you manually cock the hammer before firing and it has a transfer bar to eliminate accidental discharge. If the weapon is carried and/or in a stand uncocked it should be perfectly safe. He will of course have to cock it before firing. As far as a successful hunt is concerned I'd be more concerned about the rifled barrel. That will probably tend to swirl the shot pattern out and create open spots in the coverage. That should be apparent when you pattern the gun. I'm suure you can get a smoothbore barrel for the gun but you might have to return it to the factory to have it fitted. Might be easier to buy another single shot if you are in a bind for time before the season opens.