The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 30, 2004, 09:21 PM   #1
5ptdeerhunter

What do you guys think of this knife?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Like I said in the title. Does anyone have any experience with this one? I am looking at getting a fixed blade knife. I am a deer hunter and I field dress my own deer like every hunter should. I have been using some knives that my dad got for joining buckmaster a couple years back. They are really good knives but I don't like the handles. They are soft but they have grooves in them that the blood gets in and dries. I hate cleaning out the grooves. I have plenty of folders that I could use but once again I want a knife that is easy to clean. I am a big fan of spyderco so if I can get a spyderco that is a bonus. I like the VG-10 steel, and I don't have a problem with the price. I am just wondering what the handle is made off, and if it has grooves? Or if anyone has any other suggestions. I did see some nice buck knives in the cabelas catalog, but I really like spyderco.

http://www.knifeworks.com/index.asp...ROD&ProdID=1743

So any info is great.

Thanks,

Mike

Sorry my e-mail doesn't work.
E-mail me at:
[email protected]
Old November 30, 2004, 09:54 PM   #2
TheeBadOne

Spyderco, Bill Moran Drop Point, Plain Edge SCFB02
Old December 1, 2004, 08:24 AM   #3
CJNies

That Spyderco is nice. I've purchased kershaws, Bokers and one benchmade that cost a bundle and the knife I go back to for field dressing deer is a twenty plus year old Buck General that I bouhgt in a pawn shop for twenty bucks. I field dressed five deer with it this season before sharpening it in order to do the sixth. Nothing fancy, just a solid performer.
Old December 1, 2004, 07:14 PM   #4
MeekAndMild

The Spiderco does look good. I notice as I get older that knives handles just are not fat enough so I've been thinking of making one of a similar style but maybe half as long with carbon steel blade and putting an overly thick handle on it.

Best knife I've seen for cutting up and deboning a deer once its skinned is actually a small paring knife with a thin blade.

Toothbrush works good for getting the blood out, but I usually drop my knives into the dish washer.
In a few years when the dust finally clears and people start counting their change there is a pretty good chance that President Obama may become known as The Great Absquatulator. You heard it first here on TFL.
Old December 2, 2004, 05:40 PM   #5
redneck

Sounds like the handle is Zytel with Kraton inserts. Kraton is a fairly stiff rubber, zytel is fairly hard plastic. Should hold up fairly well, but I'd expect there wo be a little bit of a seam around the inlays. Don't know how bad it would be for blood and stuff sticking too. Not sure how good of a grip you'd get once its bloody either since its basically a round hunk of plastic.

I'd pick something like this a lot sooner
http://www.knifeworks.com/index.asp?...OD&ProdID=1537

If your willing to spend a little more A.G Russell has some Doziers that are top of the line.
You should also check out:
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=754

Some very nice knives there. And surprisingly cheap for customs most of the time. You could end up with something worth passing on to the next generation there.
Old December 2, 2004, 11:50 PM   #6
wyrdone

This is probably the best skinning/hunting knife I have used.

http://www.eknifeworks.com/webapp/eC...nd=&SKU=SC158O

Sharp and heck and holds the edge very well.
Easy to clean and dishwasher safe.

The nice bright orange makes it easy to find in the dark if you drop it as well.

(If the link doesn't work it's the Schrade Old Timer fixed blade skinner w/ guthook (there is a version w/o guthook as well) and has orage sawcut delrin handle.)
Old December 3, 2004, 01:15 AM   #7
5ptdeerhunter

Hey Redneck instead of the benchmade you suggested what do you think of this one.

http://www.knifeworks.com/index.asp?...OD&ProdID=3712

Is there any difference except the handle?

Sorry my e-mail doesn't work.
E-mail me at:
[email protected]
Old December 3, 2004, 06:49 AM   #8
redneck

Nope, same steel, same handle material. Just a slightly different style. Looks pretty comfortable
440C steel doesn't get too much publicity anymore, but its good stuff. I make knives part time, and thats my choice for stainless steel do to the fact that I can heat treat it myself. I've been very happy with the performance it gives. It doesn't hold an edge quite as long as some of the newer steels but it will do a lot of cutting and is easy to resharpen when the time comes(pretty fine grained, takes a polished shaving sharp edge pretty easily). Its also pretty dang tough, I've never had problems with it chipping or anything like that. Benchmade is a good company too.
Old December 3, 2004, 11:36 PM   #9
JohnKSa
Staff

A well defined guard between the blade and the handle is a very good thing to have on a knife that's going to be used while it's slippery.
Old December 4, 2004, 06:48 PM   #10
Mannlicher

Almost anything will do. I like Randalls myself. Another good choice is a Cold Steel All Terrain Hunter.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old December 7, 2004, 04:52 AM   #11
travis_cc

My favorite knife

The knives i've found work best are old Western knives i don't think they make them anymore but if you can find one they are a good buy.
Old January 8, 2005, 09:03 PM   #12
Jseime

Make one

Find a knife making course in your area and customize a knife to suit your needs you can do anything with them the laminate handles are very nice and its a good way to waste some time and have fun i also use a small gerber gator folder its rubber grip is good and it cleans up easy
Old January 17, 2005, 08:45 PM   #13
Lone Star

Go to www.fallkniven.com and look at the F1, S1, and A1. One should be just what you need. The NL2 has proven (in my hands) to be an excellent Bowie style, with eight-inch blade.

These knives are superbly designed, well made of excellent materials, have passed rigid military trials in Sweden and the USA, and are very rugged.

Alas, the founder of the company has had two heart attacks, and the company is for sale. Get 'em while they last! He does have US and Canadian dealers.

Lone Star