The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 13, 2013, 02:28 AM   #1
Elker_43

Did you escape to a less restrictive state?

I am very curious as to how many of you TFLers have specifically moved from one state to another because of gun restrictions/politics? Everyone talks about moving, but just how many of you have done it for the politics of firearms?

In my case, I left my birth state (California) when I was 61 almost 9 years ago. My move was specifically due to the politics of gun restrictions as I have a large gun collection and just hate the Gov telling me what I can and can not do and what I can own and can't own.

After researching many aspects (guns/politics/costs/my personal asperations/etc.) of mostly western states I settled on Idaho. My move truely was because of gun politics/restrictions. This was the best move I have ever made in my entire life. In Idaho, I am free to just LIVE! Shooting, trading, hunting, fishing, and the surprising aspect of it all.....My wife has never been happier and she also loves Idaho.

Tell us your tale of sadness or happiness and where you are now or want to be in the future as an aspect of your love of firearms.

In addition, if you were able to, tell us which state you would move to in a heartbeat if you could
Thanks

Last edited by Elker_43; January 13, 2013 at 11:10 AM.
Old January 13, 2013, 02:38 AM   #2
jmortimer

I'm still stuck here. Would rather be joining you in Idaho.
Old January 13, 2013, 02:55 AM   #3
FrankenMauser

I never moved from a place I called "home", specifically due to gun laws.

But, I did refuse to establish a permanent residence in New York. I got out of there as quickly as I could, and I never want to go back.
Old January 13, 2013, 05:28 AM   #4
iraiam

No, but I turned down an opportunity to move to a more restrictive state.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason
Old January 13, 2013, 05:31 AM   #5
AndyWest

I envy you, Elker. It sounds like you're living the life.

I didn't specifically leave Cali for Kansas, but gun ownership was on my mind when I did. Since then I've collected a few and shoot a lot.

Live it up now that you're young and free!
Old January 13, 2013, 10:23 AM   #6
Webleymkv

When I was fifteen, I moved with my family from IL to IN. While the move wasn't soley about gun laws, a large part of the reason that we chose IN for our new home was because of the more firearm-friendly environment. While I still have many relatives that live in IL, I will never move back to that state while their laws remain so draconian.
Old January 13, 2013, 11:02 AM   #7
Willie Sutton

Not specifically, but when the opportunity came up to move to Wisconsin from NJ, I didn't delay my decision....

Since then it's been a quality of life increase in 100 ways, a quality of life decrease in one way (no salt in the "ocean"), and firearms freedom is right at the top of the list of quality of life improvements.

Willie

Old January 13, 2013, 11:11 AM   #8
JWT

Not specifically for that reason, but moving to Arizona from Connecticut definitely puts me in a much more gun friendly state.

Elker is indeed in a great state for gun ownership and quaility of life. Idaho is a great place to live.
Old January 13, 2013, 11:17 AM   #9
FlyFish

Relocated about a year ago from Massachusetts to New Hampshire. Best decision I ever made. Gun friendliness was not the only factor in the decision, but it was certainly one of the 3 or 4 most important considerations.
Old January 13, 2013, 11:29 AM   #10
Textana

Being in the military I unfortunately do not have much say on where I live.

That said, I have lived all over the U.S. and overseas during the last 25 years and there is definitely is a big difference on the restrictions and the views on guns in different states. I am currently stationed overseas which really complicates gun ownership matters. However, I own a home in Texas and I have kept my Montana residency so when I finally do retire my plans are to live in a “gun friendly” state, if any still exist by then.

Elker, I did manage to live in Idaho several years ago and I would agree you picked a pretty good place to live.
Old January 13, 2013, 12:17 PM   #11
sigcurious

I didn't leave CA because of 2A politics, but I did chose the location of my new home(Vegas) with 2A politics as a consideration among other things. Far better than returning to Chicago or NYC where I've lived previously . Although I'll be darned, I can't get away from handgun registration lol.
Old January 13, 2013, 12:37 PM   #12
geetarman

I moved to Arizona in 1989. Not strictly from a gun owning standpoint but that was one of the considerations.

Best move I ever made.

Carpe Cerveza
Old January 13, 2013, 12:49 PM   #13
Brit

Dec. 6th, 2003. I left Canada for a 3 month vacation at my Sons house, in Orlando! I became a citizen, last April!

Sitting at my lap Top, Glock 19 on the belt, not an option in Toronto, mind you the 6 month Winter had a good deal to do with that as well.

Living with my Son? And his third Wife, no sir. The Wife #4 is much the best one, but we live in our own house. Me, Wife of twenty years, and some guns!

We are all very happy.
Old January 13, 2013, 12:52 PM   #14
DFrame

Haven't moved. YET!
Old January 13, 2013, 01:20 PM   #15
Carne Frio

Almost every state that I have visited or lived in
has more restrictive gun laws than Alaska. That
is one of many reasons that I'll stay here forever.
Old January 13, 2013, 02:08 PM   #16
Mike38

Quote:
While I still have many relatives that live in IL, I will never move back to that state while their laws remain so draconian.
Draconian? How so?

According to the Brady Campaign Against Gun Violence. Illinois is one of the better states for gun owners with a score of 35. Zero being the ‘freest’ of states for gun owners, and 100 being most restrictive for gun owners.

Now that Illinois will have some form of concealed carry, the statistics say it’s one of the better states to live in for gun owners.

I can have high-cap mags, pistol grip rifles, bayonet lugs and the bayonets to mount on it, soon to have CCW, etc, etc.

No, Illinois is not the best state, but I'd stop short of calling it draconian.
Old January 13, 2013, 02:11 PM   #17
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

Before too many of you consider Idaho, not all parts are equal.

I awoke at 6am and the temp was -9. Just checked and the heat wave has come!... -6.

This thread doesn't really pertain to Laws. It is a general type statement. So off to the General Discussion area.
Old January 13, 2013, 02:12 PM   #18
UtopiaTexasG19

I'll just stay here...

Old January 13, 2013, 02:24 PM   #19
skintner

WA to Wyoming?

I live next door to Idaho... WA is too liberal for my taste and were it not for the wife's folks, we'd be in Idaho now.

That being said, the idea that Wyoming is about to pass a law to prevent the Federales from enforcing their laws there resonates harmoniously. I think Wyoming is going to be high on my list of desirable places when the in-laws are gone.
Old January 13, 2013, 03:08 PM   #20
rickyrick

It would keep me from going to certain places.

It is part of vacation considerations too.

For a brief few days New Mexico stopped honoring Texas handgun licenses because Texas allows an age exception for military members. After realizing that Texas to New Mexico tourism was going to tank, they changed it. As long as the holder meets NM requirements.
Old January 13, 2013, 03:18 PM   #21
Shane Tuttle
Staff

We moved to Illinois for a job. As soon as we were able to cross the Mississippi to the Iowa side, we did for the main reason of Illinois and their gun laws.

I'm on the fence on whether to continue working overseas and save up enough to move back out West or wait until retirement. Either way, it will be Utah, western Wyoming, western Montana, Idaho, Nevada, or northern Arizona come hell or high water.

And Al, those kind of temps are heaven to me!

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old January 13, 2013, 03:19 PM   #22
Elker_43

Skintner,
Yes you are right about WA. I live right across the state line in Idaho and do monitor what is going on over there. In most cases, WA is ruled by the "ruling class" of just down right Liberals in the Seattle/Tacoma area. It is a major voting block there and they pretty much control the rest of the state which is more rural and conservative. If you ever go to Seattle you will get the feel of San Francisco in just watching people and the way they go about their daily lives. I guess it is good for them, however, it is sad that they control the rest of the citizens of the state. I would not want to be citizen of WA (a light to dark blue state at best).

G19 - I love the picture of the sign.....I understand why you love Texas.

Al Norris - To heap all of Idaho into one statement about the temps is a bit much for such a large state such as ID. Our state runs from the CA/Nevada/Utah North borders to Canada. Where I live, the altitude is 2000 ft above sea level and the winters are extremely mild! I am only 150 miles from Canada!!! Two years ago for all of winter, I never shoveled one shovel full of snow between Dec and March because there was no snow and the minimum temp was around 22-23 degrees!

Elker

Happy in the red state of Idaho.
Old January 13, 2013, 03:29 PM   #23
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Quote:
Draconian? How so?
Have you really looked at Illinois' gun laws?

Quote:
According to the Brady Campaign Against Gun Violence. Illinois is one of the better states for gun owners with a score of 35. Zero being the ‘freest’ of states for gun owners, and 100 being most restrictive for gun owners.
You're banking your belief on what the Brady Campaign has to say? Now, I'm beginning to see how you came to your conclusion.

Quote:
Now that Illinois will have some form of concealed carry, the statistics say it’s one of the better states to live in for gun owners.
Tell me where in their laws you can CCW, other than being in LE.

Quote:
I can have high-cap mags, pistol grip rifles, bayonet lugs and the bayonets to mount on it, soon to have CCW, etc, etc.
That hasn't come to fruition, yet. As a matter of fact, IL lawmakers have recently tried to shove laws down the citizens' throats banning a mountain-load of firearms. Sure doesn't seem to me the current IL government is ready to look out for them.

Quote:
No, Illinois is not the best state, but I'd stop short of calling it draconian.
With the only state that completely infringes your right to CCW, has counties that outright ban several firearms (Cook being one of them), and gun laws through the nose enough to stake the #1 spot as the nation's WORST in infringing on peoples' rights, I think your assessment is entirely off base.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old January 13, 2013, 04:39 PM   #24
Brit

My Buddy runs a large Security Company in Chicago. His people are armed all the time, work closely with different Aldermen, arrest drug dealers, and back up the cops.

Guess the law is better for some.
Old January 13, 2013, 04:44 PM   #25
Moby

I lived in southern CA for 18 years.

I was a Real Estate agent during the RE boom/bubble.

We made a good pile of money and bailed out for TX.

Liberal politics, restrictive EVERYTHING was the reason for the move.
My old HOA regulations (community laws) were a book 3 inches thick.

My new HOA regulations here in Texas = 3 pages of common sense stuff.

I always knew I'd come back to Texas. Galveston was my first duty station after boot camp.
“A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” ~George Washington
US Coast Guard 76-86 Semper Paratus