The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old October 3, 2012, 01:21 PM   #1
9mm

building my first ar pistol ? Good brands?

What brands for upper and lower would be good?

I am thinking a LMT in 10.5inch and a Spikes $180-$220 lower priced range. Good choices? I heard good things about LMT.
Old October 3, 2012, 01:30 PM   #2
Technosavant

As with a long gun AR, the lower doesn't matter all that much. Just get one that's in spec.

LMT is a good brand for the upper, but they're far from the only one. Pretty much the same brands that tend to be very good for longer barreled uppers are just fine for pistol length too.
Old October 3, 2012, 01:33 PM   #3
WeedWacker

Location: Body: Clarkston, Washington. Soul: LaCrosse, Wisconsin
Lower construction is not too crucial. Sticking with good brands that are known to be in spec is the only consideration. DPMS, RRA, Spikes lowers are all to spec and won't be a problem.

The issue with running a reliable set up depends on your gas and buffer system. While some might think a 7 inch barrel would be a ball of fun (ball of fire too) you would be correct, however the gas systems for consistent reliability are found on longer barrels and is one of the reasons I went with an 11.5" BCM upper. Take dwell time into consideration when choosing your barrel length.

The buffer is the second variable in the equation for reliability. The older pistol tubes are shorter systems than carbine and M16 length buffer systems. RRA and Spikes both make carbine length pistol buffer tubes and when coupled with a carbine length gas system improve reliability considerably and permit access to readily available parts and easier solutions to cyclic problems. And you can get an actual cheek weld on the tube giving a consistent sight picture with that of an AR-15 rather than holding the pistol tight against a sling for stability.
Old October 3, 2012, 02:16 PM   #4
9mm

Spikes good? I found one for $500 complete upper 10.5" or compared to LMT which is better?
Old October 3, 2012, 05:12 PM   #5
Master Blaster 2

...you makn a AR15 pistol in 308.? That is a handfull. I got one of thoes in 5.62.
Old October 3, 2012, 07:53 PM   #6
WeedWacker

Location: Body: Clarkston, Washington. Soul: LaCrosse, Wisconsin
Spikes makes good stuff. Here is a chart that can give you an idea of how Spikes rifles stack up against other manufacturers.
Old October 3, 2012, 08:38 PM   #7
9mm

Quote:
you makn a AR15 pistol in 308.? That is a handfull. I got one of thoes in 5.62.
no, just 556/223