The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 8, 2009, 06:24 PM   #1
Ron L

removing barrel from slug gun

I have a Remmie 1100 slug gun (smooth bore/rifle sights) that I got used with a rail already installed on the receiver. I'm trying to decide whether to put a new set of fiber optic sights on the barrel or throw a scope on it. I don't want to get a new cantilever barrel for it (read can't afford to).

Does anyone have any actual experience with the zero or POI moving when the barrel is taken off and put back on? How much does the zero actually move? Don't get me wrong, I'd always shoot the gun and sight it back in, but I'm wondering if it would still be on paper or just a few inches off. I've heard of people pinning the barrel. Is it permanently pinned or maybe a screw drilled/tapped into the receiver so it indexes the same position every time?

Detroit Area Chapter
Terre-Haute Torque & Recoil Society
"If it rolls, floats, or shoots, runs on gunpowder or gasoline, goes fast, shoots a big bullet, or makes lots of noise thus producing torque and recoil - it's cool."
Old January 8, 2009, 07:20 PM   #2
Scattergun Bob

Hi Ron

I understand your concern. First thing is to understand that in my experience 1100 barrel to mag tube tolerance is much tighter and that helps with the issue of barrel movement when re-installing the barrel and hoping for a duplicate zero. It seems that I do not have to snug up the mag cap as much on my 1100 either, I think this helps in the re-zero department a little.

When I change barrels on a 1100, I first gently remove the mag cap counting how many clicks engage the cap, gently remove the fore-end with out moving the barrel. I then secure the barrel in place with a strap wrench. I then use a steel scribe to lightly scratch a left and right hand witness mark across the barrel band/gas cylinder and the mag tube. These realignment marks will help duplicate the "set up" of the barrel. Remove the barrel and do what you need to do. When assembling MAKE SURE to align the "set up" marks and gently slide on the fore-end. MAKE SURE to only torque the mag cap the correct # of clicks.

I wish I could give you a "good to go" about how much movement will occur, @ 50 yrds I have seen 8 min of movement (4 inches) frequently. On the other end, my old 1100 Deer Gun model using the little tricks above moved about an 1" each time I removed the barrel. Part of the the Black Magic is how tight the slip joint between the barrel and magazine tube is. In my opinion there is nothing like a cantilever to maintain zero in slug guns. THE GOOD NEWS is that deer such targets have no X ring, minute of shoulder blade is GOOD ENOUGH.

I liked the 1100 Deer Model and should have kept it, Got Benelli fever a number of years ago and sold off some 1100's, Damm, I hate it when I do that.

Good Luck & Be Safe
Old January 8, 2009, 09:18 PM   #3
crowbeaner

As long as you don't bang the sights during removal, they should remain unchanged and shoot the same place when you put it back on. I've owned several different makes and models of shotties, and none of them had any problems with POI after removing the slug barrel for a bird barrel and then back again. Right now we have 2 pumps and a semi that have both barrels, and none of them has changed with a simple removal.
Old January 8, 2009, 09:39 PM   #4
Ron L

Thanks folks for the answers.

Scattergun, that's what I was looking for. Again, I'm not looking to duplicate zero, I just didn't want to find it completely off the paper and spend a lot of time chasing things around.

Detroit Area Chapter
Terre-Haute Torque & Recoil Society
"If it rolls, floats, or shoots, runs on gunpowder or gasoline, goes fast, shoots a big bullet, or makes lots of noise thus producing torque and recoil - it's cool."