The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 15, 2007, 05:47 PM   #1
McGlockster

First batch of reloads - 1 quirky round.

Hi all,

I shot my first batch of reloads this past week, and all went well except for one glitch that I can't figure out. Your input would be appreciated.

Data: .45 ACP, CCI primers, Starline brass (new), 4.6 gr. Win 231 powder, 230gr. Hornady RN JHP with an O.A.L. of 1.25".

I loaded a magazine with 10 rounds of WWB that I fired through my Glock 21SF with a new Lone Wolf after-market barrel. No problems. I then loaded the same mag with 10 of my reloads, and other than the loads having considerably less recoil, and the shells bouncing off my forehead instead of over my head, there were no FTF or FTE issues (I plan on bumping up to 4.7 gr. and 4.8 gr. on the next run). However, when I racked in a round from the last 10 reloads and pulled the trigger, nothing happened, no trigger click, nothing. I waited several seconds, ejected the magazine, and had to use considerable force to eject the chambered round. I inspected the round and it didn't appear different from any of the other reloads. No primer strike, same OAL, no excessive crimp, nothing. I put the round back in the mag, racked it in, and it fired without any problems (as did the rest of the reloads). I then ran 20 rounds of WWB through the gun without a glitch. Any guesses what the issue would have been?
Old September 15, 2007, 05:48 PM   #2
The Tourist

Was the pistol clean?
Old September 15, 2007, 05:52 PM   #3
McGlockster

Yes, except for the burned powder soot from the initial 20 rounds.
Old September 15, 2007, 06:16 PM   #4
The Tourist

Quote:
considerable force...No primer strike
I wonder if some of this soot got into the firing pin channel and delayed the strike.

I once got a teenie bit of grit jammed underneath the ejection star on a revolver, and it tied the firearm up so bad I almost had to take it to a gunsmith.
Old September 15, 2007, 07:01 PM   #5
snuffy

It didn't go all the way into battery. It can't fire if the barrel/slide aren't all the way closed.

Something was stopping the round from completely chambering, a bulge from excessive crimp, not enough crimp to remove the belling, or something else. The first attempt to chamber probably ironed out most of the obstruction, the second attempt finished it so it could close completely.

If it was a 1911, all you have to do is slap it on the back of the slide, re-cock, and she'd go!

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old September 15, 2007, 07:46 PM   #6
The Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by snuffy
If it was a 1911, all you have to do is slap it on the back of the slide, re-cock, and she'd go!
Very good advice.

A tap-rap-bam drill should be part of all of our drills. Sadly, I cannot remember when I did mine last...
Old September 15, 2007, 08:27 PM   #7
Jim Watson

230gr. Hornady RN JHP with an O.A.L. of 1.25".

Too long. Those Hornadys are really a truncated cone with a stubby nose. You probably had one just a smidgen too long, jamming the bearing surface of the bullet into the rifling and holding the slide slightly out of battery. Good thing those "Glocks will fire out of battery and put your eyes out" stories are just urban legend, huh?

A search found that the Hornady factory load with that bullet is 1.235"

If you don't have a Hornady book, maybe somebody will look up the offical OAL for you. Or you could just seat a little deeper for the next batch. You are well below the maximum and deeper seating will not be a risk.
Old September 15, 2007, 08:48 PM   #8
McGlockster

"230gr. Hornady RN JHP with an O.A.L. of 1.25".

Too long. Those Hornadys are really a truncated cone with a stubby nose. You probably had one just a smidgen too long, jamming the bearing surface of the bullet into the rifling and holding the slide slightly out of battery. Good thing those "Glocks will fire out of battery and put your eyes out" stories are just urban legend, huh?

A search found that the Hornady factory load with that bullet is 1.235"

If you don't have a Hornady book, maybe somebody will look up the offical OAL for you. Or you could just seat a little deeper for the next batch. You are well below the maximum and deeper seating will not be a risk.
"

Ahhhhhh ...... good point. I bet that WAS the culprit. I'll try some batches at that O.A.L., and get a copy of the Hornady book as I bought 1000 rounds of their bullets. Thanks!

And YES, I was surprised that the evil Glock didn't maim me severely. Go figure huh? Actually, Ive grown immune to the Glock-bashing.