The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 11, 1999, 05:59 PM   #1
TheOtherMikey

I have decided to use some fast burning powders in my .45 Long Colt rounds and to use something as a filler (probably oatmeal or cream of wheat).

My question is how much filler to use? Do I want to fill it up so it just touches the bullet bottem or do I want to slightly compress the load with the powder on the bottom (primer) end?

Hope you can help, Mikey

------------------
When Guns Are Outlawed, I Will Be Another One Of The Quarter Million Violators Who Are Not Prosecuted
Old November 13, 1999, 11:47 AM   #2
TheOtherMikey

C'MON Guys, Help Me Out Here, Mikey
Old November 13, 1999, 12:13 PM   #3
Deputy Al

Mikey--I don't use fillers, PERIOD. Too many ringed chambers in other people's firearms. I use 15.0 grains of Unique in rifle cast bullet loads (30-06 and 8 x 57), and the rifles shoot better than I can. WW-231 doesn't seem to be position sensitive in my 45 LC loads, which are standard pressure for a S&W M-25/5.
Old November 17, 1999, 10:03 PM   #4
Paul B.

OtherMikey. The only cartridge I use a filler in (Cream of Wheat) is the 45-70. I don't think fillers in handgun rounds is a good idea. There was a sidebar in an American Rifleman about a guy who was having problems using dacron as a filler for light loads in his .44 Mag. Seems the stuff was melting and gumming up his action and barrel. The answer was find some kapok. Not in this day and age. I had about 30 pounds of kapok from an old mattress, but it got lost somehow in the move to AZ. Dang it all.
Anyway, I have never seen the need for fillers. I just use a powder such as Bullseye, Unique, and I'm starting to play with W-231. They should work for light loads.
Paul B.
Old November 18, 1999, 09:43 AM   #5
JoeHatley

TheOtherMikey,

I use 7.2 grains Bullseye with a 200 grain bullet, for fun shooting loads in my .45 colt. No need for fillers. The load is not powder position sensitive.

Good Luck...

Joe

------------------
Go NRA
Old November 18, 1999, 09:43 AM   #6
Jack Straw

I'll second what Paul B just said; there are plenty of powders out there that will give you the results you want without the need for fillers. In .45LC, I've been using Unique (7.5-8.0 grains) with great results -- accurate and easy to handle (plus a little smoke with cast bullets which looks good coming out of a ColtSAA ). I'm also looking into Hodgdon's Titegroup; I'm going to try some as soon as I can find it. Titegroup was designed to not be position sensitive so it will work well (ie..consistently) in large cases such as the .45LC and is a very clean burner (from what I've read).

Jack
Old November 20, 1999, 08:26 PM   #7
flatlander

OtherMikey: I got along better with Red Dot in my 45 Colt than any other powder I tried for light loads. Tested over a chronograph, there was very little difference in velocity whether the powder was against the primer, or up front. I don't think you'd have much trouble using a filler in a straight wall case like the 45 Colt, as long as you use enough to make the bullet compress the filler, but I've seen lots of stories about bottleneck rifle cases, fillers, and ringed chambers. Fillers can cause problems in a revolver, at times binding the cylinder up in the frame, unless you use something that doesn't melt.
Old November 22, 1999, 04:42 PM   #8
sundog

i've used good ol' bulky green dot in my 44 mag for a long time and it works real good with no fillers

------------------
safety first