The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old April 11, 2001, 06:08 AM   #1
Herr Walther

The person who asked the question about the single-shot .22LR pre- or war-time rifle, I believe it to be a KKW.
These are the only rifles of this type that Walther manufactured until 1953.

It is very similar in appearance to a K98k. I though it was possibly a KKJ, but those had not been manufactured yet, and earlier rifles are all repeaters.

I believe the original post was wiped out with the DB crash...along with my account.

Michael
"...a historian asked what had happened to the German people for them to accept a criminal government. Unfortunately, nothing needed to happen. In nations across the world people accept government crime."
-------------------------------------
"In democracies as well as dictatorships, subordinates illegally obey their rulers. Subordinates who remain true to their oaths of office by opposing their rulers are rare."
Old April 11, 2001, 09:16 AM   #2
Doc Hudson

I beg your pardon, but Walther did make another single-shot .22 in the inter-war years.

Check the Model V. It is a single shot bolt action with a 26" and a plain walnut stock. I have seen one with a military-type stock and Army acceptance markings. (It is a fine shooter.)

According to my reference book, the KKW was nothing more than a military stocked version of the post war KKM.

Doc Hudson
Old April 11, 2001, 07:23 PM   #3
Herodotus

In addition to the Model V, mentioned above, I believe that Walther also made some very high quality 22 LR match rifles. These are rare and highly desirable. I saw one once, but it was not for sale. I don't have any real hard information on these, however.
Old April 12, 2001, 12:59 AM   #4
Herr Walther

I will have to look closer and pull out the German/English dictionary for my source book on this subject. I have a book written by the Walther Waffenfabrik, but I did not see a reference to a pre-war or war-time Model V.

As far as I can make out with my limited Deutsch, the KKW is a war-time .22LR single-shot bolt action.

Doc, are you saying that after the war Walther took the KKW and changed the stock to a sporter and changed the name to KKM?

My reference is "Eine Deutsche Legende", written entirely in German, so I need to look a bit closer.

Walther handguns are actually my specialty, but I try to help out with any Walther related question.

Gruss
"...a historian asked what had happened to the German people for them to accept a criminal government. Unfortunately, nothing needed to happen. In nations across the world people accept government crime."
-------------------------------------
"In democracies as well as dictatorships, subordinates illegally obey their rulers. Subordinates who remain true to their oaths of office by opposing their rulers are rare."
Old April 12, 2001, 01:27 AM   #5
Doc Hudson

Herr Walther,

According to my reference, a 9th Edition of the Standard Catalog of Firearms, the description of the KKM is as follows:

Model KKM International Match
A .22 caliber single shot bolt-action rifle with a 28" barrel and adjustable sights. Blued with walnut stock fitted for a palm rest and with an adjustable buttplate. Manufactured after World War II

Model KKM-S
As above, with and adjustable cheekpiece.

Model KKW
As above, with a military-style stock.

Also listed among post-War single shots are:

Model SSV Varmint
A .22 caliber single shot rifle with a 25.5" barrel not fitted with sights and a Monte Carlo-style stock. Blued. Manufactured after WWII

There are also several versions of the Model UIT listed that were aimed at particular types of competition shooting.

I suspect that the high grade competition rifle Herodotus mentioned was either a Model V Champion or the Olympic Single Shot which had a palm rest and adjustable buttplate. (no manufacture dates were mentioned for the Olympic.)

BTW, if you are trying to translate from a book in German, you are doing a danged sight better than I'd do. If you computer has German fonts, you can use the Babelfish program available at Yahoo.com to help translate.

Regards,
Doc Hudson
Old April 13, 2001, 11:05 AM   #6
Herr Walther

Thanks Doc. I haven't had th etime to get back into that book. Maybe Sunday.

Take Care,

Michael