The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old September 7, 2012, 09:08 PM   #1
Farmalljon

Super Redhawk .454 Ultradot Advice

So right after I got my new Super Redhawk .454, I put a Simmons handgun scope on it and it lasted about 5 minutes before the Casull turned it into a $125 baby rattle. So I have spent the last few months learning to shoot it well with the iron sites. Now it is time to mount up something else. I have done a lot of lurking around, and as far as red dot sites go, I'm hearing good things about the Ultradot sites, and their ability to stand up to the .454's recoil. What I'd like to know is which model Ultradot should I get? Will ALL Ultradot sites stand up to the kick of a .454, or do I need to buy a specific model?
Old September 7, 2012, 09:53 PM   #2
feets

I can't help you with the dot but I used a Bushnell scope on my 454 SRH and it held up just fine.
Old September 7, 2012, 10:54 PM   #3
Creeper

I put an Ultradot Matchdot on a friends 7mm-08 MRI Lone Eagle single shot pistol. He's used it for maybe a year now and he shoots it regularly (it's really a toy... he doesn't hunt with it).
Just a guess... he probably has a bit over 250 rounds through it. I honestly didn't think it would survive, but so far, it's held up with no issues.

C
Old September 8, 2012, 05:44 AM   #4
VTRich

I have a Super RH in 480 Ruger and use and Ultradot on mine. So far it has been perfect.
Old September 8, 2012, 11:40 AM   #5
Mystro

I have a Ruger Super Redhawk 454 Casull with open sights. I HAD a 454 Casull Raging Bull with a Ultra Dot on it and it held up fine to the big 454. I am going to keep my Super Redhawk 454 with open sights. It carries easier and I am pretty good with it at hunting ranges. If your gonna scope it then the Ultra Dot is what you want.