The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old July 16, 2011, 11:16 AM   #1
meatgrinder42

Wisconsin Carry

Well Wisconsin finally became a CC state and I've been trying to figure out how to get my permit. There is little to no resource online and a co-worker said all you need is a hunter's safety card (if you don't have it you need a course). But anyone got any ideas on how to get the actuall permit?

(Sorry if in the wrong forum)
Old July 16, 2011, 11:27 AM   #2
drew747

https://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/2011/related/acts/35
Old July 16, 2011, 11:35 AM   #3
Dwight55

Congrats, Wisconsin, . . .

I at one time considered moving there, . . . the CCW (lack thereof) was one reason I decided against it, . . . Chicago was another reason (ugh )

But if I was you, . . . I'd just call the sheriff. If he doesn't give you a good answer, . . . call one in a different county, . . . go down and talk to the police department, . . . someone there should know.

In Ohio, it is the sheriff, . . . and while some are kinda reluctant or provide some hurdles, . . . they still have to as a "shall issue" state, and I understand that Wisconsin is the same.

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old July 16, 2011, 11:47 AM   #4
X_shooter

Woo Hoo! Now I can vacation in Wisconsin if they reciprocate. I have been wanting to go there for a while. Just s tone's throw for the enchanted mitten.
Old July 16, 2011, 12:22 PM   #5
Don H

As I understand it, the CCW portion of the law won't take effect until November 1, 2011. Since the law was just passed, I'd think it would be a bit premature to expect a definite process to be in place already.
Old July 16, 2011, 12:42 PM   #6
DiscoRacing

That would be nice for sure...

.. I go there every spring twice a yr to catfish the lower wisconsin river..

... its a pain in the rump to case/unload every time there.
Old July 16, 2011, 01:52 PM   #7
JGON

I would suggest getting on the mailing list for Fletcher Arms if you are interested in CC info for Wisconsin.

Since the law has not come into effect yet, the procedure is a little unclear for how the permits will be issued. Someone else mentioned Nov. 1st as a possible timeframe, and that might be close but it's hard to say yet.

What I do know is that Hunter's safety will work as "training" that is required to get the permit, and then it's 50 bucks for the permit which needs to be renewed every 5 years. You will also legally be able to carry the pistol in your car loaded... previously it had to be unloaded and cased.

I will be closely watching all of this stuff as well, so if I learn anything more I will post something.

Thanks,

JGON
Old July 16, 2011, 02:03 PM   #8
svenoleary

All in all, very exciting! I go fishing each summer on Lake Michigan and always travel unarmed in Wis. I sure hope they provide reciprocity and include my state.
Old July 16, 2011, 02:11 PM   #9
JGON

Actually this site linked by Drew had a lot of current information, although it's a pain in the A$$ to read...

https://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/2011/related/acts/35

Any license from another state will be honored, just make sure it's current and your identification is current. You can always Open Carry here!

JGON
Old July 16, 2011, 02:13 PM   #10
JWT

On Wisconsin.. It's about time.
Old July 16, 2011, 03:09 PM   #11
drew747

I cut out of the bill, the training requirements.

(4) Training requirements. (a) The proof of training requirement under sub. (7) (e) may be met by any of the following:
1. A copy of a document, or an affidavit from an instructor or organization that conducted the course or program, that indicates the individual completed any of the following:
a. The hunter education program established under s. 29.591 or a substantially similar program that is established by another state, country, or province and that is recognized by the department of natural resources.
b. A firearms safety or training course that is conducted by a national or state organization that certifies firearms instructors.
c. A firearms safety or training course that is available to the public and is offered by a law enforcement agency or, if the course is taught by an instructor who is certified by a national or state organization that certifies firearms instructors or by the department, by a technical college, a college or a university, a private or public institution or organization, or a firearms training school.
d. A firearms safety or training course that is offered to law enforcement officers or to owners and employees of licensed private detective and security agencies.
e. A firearms safety or training course that is conducted by a firearms instructor who is certified by a national or state organization that certifies firearms instructors or who is certified by the department.
2. Documentation that the individual completed military, law enforcement, or security training that gave the individual experience with firearms that is substantially equivalent to a course or program under subd. 1.
3. A current or expired license, or a photocopy of a current or expired license, that the individual holds or has held that indicates that the individual is licensed or has been licensed to carry a firearm in this state or in another state or in a county or municipality of this state or of another state unless the license has been revoked for cause.
4. Documentation of completion of small arms training while serving in the U.S. armed forces, reserves, or national guard as demonstrated by an honorable discharge or general discharge under honorable conditions or a certificate of completion of basic training with a service record of successful completion of small arms training and certification.
(b) 1. The department shall certify instructors for the purposes of par. (a) 1. c. and e. and shall maintain a list of instructors that it certifies. To be certified by the department as an instructor, a person must meet all of the following criteria:
a. Be qualified under sub. (3) to carry a concealed weapon.
b. Be able to demonstrate the ability and knowledge required for providing firearms safety and training.
2. The department may not require firing live ammunition to meet the training requirements under par. (a).
Old July 17, 2011, 09:32 AM   #12
bikerbill

This is great news for anyone who supports and believes in the 2A ... we've had a trip to The Dells planned for next year -- a family reunion -- and it's great to realize I'll be able to carry there without constantly looking over my shoulder ... on to Illinois!!!!!!
Old July 17, 2011, 09:51 AM   #13
Black_Sheep

Quote:
(18)Reciprocity agreements. The department may enter into reciprocity agreements with other states as to matters relating to licenses or other authorization to carry concealed weapons.
Anyone know yet which states Wisconsin will have reciprocity with?
Old July 17, 2011, 12:24 PM   #14
Dan F

Quote:
3. A current or expired license, or a photocopy of a current or expired license, that the individual holds or has held that indicates that the individual is licensed or has been licensed to carry a firearm in this state or in another state or in a county or municipality of this state or of another state unless the license has been revoked for cause.
Black_Sheep: I don't know which states will eventually have reciprocity, but at the very least Wisconsin accepts CCW from all other states as meeting training requirements for its own, which seems to bode well for an expansive reciprocity policy...
Old July 17, 2011, 05:33 PM   #15
cheezhed

If you go to open carry .org you will find most of the answers you are looking for. Just google wisconsin open carry and you should find a link to the forum.
I lurk there all the time.
Old July 17, 2011, 05:33 PM   #16
Jo6pak

We've watched several times as the legislature passed CCW only to have it vetoed by the now ex-governor. It's funny that the current law that was signed is much more lenient thatn the former bills that were vetoed in the past.

Personally, I haven't decided if/when I will carry, but I will do the training and get a permit at some point.
Old July 17, 2011, 05:53 PM   #17
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan F
Black_Sheep: I don't know which states will eventually have reciprocity, but at the very least Wisconsin accepts CCW from all other states as meeting training requirements for its own, which seems to bode well for an expansive reciprocity policy...
The same could be viewed as indicative that Wisconsin is UNlikely to engage in broad reciprocity. If Wisconsin intended to honor most other states' permits, there would be no need to accept out-of-state permits as proof of training for the Wisconsin permit.

Aside from that ... "reciprocity" does not equal "recognition." Most of the northeastern states don't engage in any reciprocity whatsoever, and don't recognize any permits other than their own. While some western states (primarily) will unilaterally recognize a NY or MA permit, that is not "reciprocity" and it helps on the NY or MA residents if they visit the western state. It doesn't do anything for a Utah resident if he/she needs to be in NY or MA.
Old July 17, 2011, 08:02 PM   #18
Patriot86

When Illinois is forced to issue CCL's by the courts I hope Wisconsin, Illinois, Michigan and Indiana all share some sort of reciprocity. It would make sense if you think about it.
Old July 17, 2011, 08:15 PM   #19
Webleymkv

Quote:
When Illinois is forced to issue CCL's by the courts I hope Wisconsin, Illinois, Michigan and Indiana all share some sort of reciprocity. It would make sense if you think about it.
While Indiana recognizes all other states' CCL's, it is unlikely that Wisconsin will recognize Indiana's as we have no training requirement (this is the same reason Ohio gives for not recognizing ours even though both Michigan and Kentucky do).