The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 22, 2011, 07:58 AM   #1
Shootest

New chronograph

Looking to buy a new chronograph, which one do you guys recommend ?
Old March 22, 2011, 08:36 AM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

CED M II. I've posted my reasons before, and if you use the search function, you'll find this question answered a number of times, including my opinion and other different ones. You can also scroll down here to read Father Frog's opinion. He's come to the same conclusion I have. But don't skip running the board search ("Search" in white letters in the blue bar below the address bar on this page, above) to see what others think about other units.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle

Last edited by Unclenick; March 22, 2011 at 09:55 AM.
Old March 22, 2011, 09:53 AM   #3
totaldla

I've been a Chrony fan for a decade.
Chrony Alpha Master Information
Old March 22, 2011, 12:33 PM   #4
Tex S

My CED has been perfect. I tried the PACT chrony first, but I promptly returned it. It was a p.o.s.
Old March 22, 2011, 12:47 PM   #5
PawPaw

I've been a Chrony fan for decades and I use the Alpha Master.

Be advised that there are only two kinds of chronograph owners. Those who have shot their chronograph and those who will shoot their chronograph.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old April 3, 2011, 10:20 AM   #6
cryogenic419

I've had good luck with a Chrony Beta Master.
Old April 3, 2011, 10:51 AM   #7
Dr. Strangelove

CED Millennium 2

Plugs right into your computer and uploads all the data when you get back from the range. Truly a great tool.
Old April 3, 2011, 01:13 PM   #8
Smokey Joe

New chronograph...

Shootest--A few years ago I lucked into a great price on a Shooting Chrony Gamma Master, so I bought it.

Have never been sorry for a moment that I did. The high-end chronograph has all its "brains" on your shooting bench--The sensor unit has only the sensors, so if you shoot that, there are only the sensors to replace.

The SCGM also keeps track of how many shots you've taken, and works up the math for 10-shot groups, doing FPS of each bullet, average FPS, high and low FPS, and the standard of deviation for that group. Then it prints it all up on adding-machine tape (which I tear off and tape to the target in question.)

There is no math for you to do, no writing down of anything, no keeping track. YOU concentrate on doing the shooting (and making sure to miss the sensors!) The gadget does all the rest.

BTW, Shooting Chrony recommends that you replace the supplied steel sunshade supports with wooden dowel rods, so when you shoot the support, you don't damage the base the rod fits into. I just got the smallest dowel rods I could, cut them to length, and sharpened them down to fit the holes in the base and the sunshade.

(A thought for ANY chronograph...) I obtained a used fishing tackle box that will hold all the Shooting Chrony stuff, plus all the ancillary junk like an extra battery and a spare roll of adding machine tape and spare dowel rods. And a couple of pencils and a roll of Scotch tape. When I want to take the chronograph to the range, all I have to grab is the one tackle box, plus the El Cheapo Wally World photographers' tripod the sensor unit mounts on.

Anyhow, if you can get a good price on a Shooting Chrony Gamma Master, that IMHO would be the way to go.

--Smokey Joe
Old April 3, 2011, 01:15 PM   #9
Clark

I bought a shooting Chrony and promptly shot it with a pistol.
I bought another shooting Chrony and promptly shot it with a pistol.
I bought a Pro Chrono and promptly shot it with a pistol.
I bought another Pro Chrono and have only used it for rifles for 5 years.

I like to put the chrono way out there so the gas from the muzzle blast does not make an error in the measurement. I have to read the chrono with binoculars.

I have noticed that the shooting chronys do not always trigger, but the Pro Chronos always trigger.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RangeBenchSav99tiny.jpg (40.4 KB, 218 views)
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old April 3, 2011, 07:09 PM   #10
ClemBert

Based on a lot of research and reading numerous reviews I bought a CED Millenium 2. Gonna take it out Wednesday to the range and try it out for the first time. I played with it in the house shooting rubber bands through it and working though all of the functions including downloading to the computer. Seems to be very straightforward.
Old April 3, 2011, 08:12 PM   #11
rclark

I recently bought the F1 Chrony. Works great. Set it up 10-15 feet away and it just works! Nothing fancy and easy to read. Just read, and then log the velocity in a notebook. Save the analysis for home by entering the numbers into a spreadsheet! Use an adjustable three leg camera stand for adjustment for shooting over bench.
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old April 3, 2011, 08:23 PM   #12
Smokey Joe

Hey, Shootest!!!

It's been 2 weeks since you made the OP. Any developments???

--Smokey Joe

Last edited by Smokey Joe; April 3, 2011 at 08:24 PM. Reason: Clumsy wording.
Old April 4, 2011, 07:11 AM   #13
Kevin Rohrer

After doing my research and reading what others bought, I recently got a Chrony Gamma because I wanted a printer.

Haven't used it yet as the temp hasn't warmed up enough and the precipitation stopped. Maybe next week when the weather is supposed to cooperate and my tripod gets here. I have lots of rifles and an XP100 clambering to be shot thru it.

Caveat Emptor: Cavery Grips/AmericanGripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He is a scammer
Old April 4, 2011, 09:10 AM   #14
Shootest

I have to wait for the cash (that stuff don’t go as far as it use ta) so I’m still weighing my options. I would like to do more indoor shooting and do not know which one will work best with lights. Or which lights to use. I’m still up in the air as $$ are tight and can’t be wasted.
Old April 4, 2011, 09:57 AM   #15
Unclenick
Staff

The CED M2's optional infrared screen accessory works great. There is an optional rechargeable battery back available for it if you can't plug the wall adapter in at your range. I've done a lot of airgun pellet measuring in my basement with my copy and not a single false trigger event has occurred. I have light on the target and low light at the firing point, so the voice feature of the M2 actually becomes useful in that circumstance. Some folks use the artificial light and a shade even on outdoor ranges to be sure the light level is consistent.

Whatever unit you get, you'll want their artificial lighting system. Fluorescent lights can cause false triggering, so you may need a light shade over everything if your range has them. You can cut one out of cardboard. Just be sure your tripod is sturdy enough for the weight you want to put on it.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old April 6, 2011, 01:39 AM   #16
Dr. Strangelove

The CED M2 in action...
Old April 6, 2011, 04:28 PM   #17
HawkeyeNRAlifer

I like the Chrony so much that over the last decade or so I've shot a couple of them. The last hit was just a nick.