The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 24, 2009, 03:37 AM   #1
Ike1371

Taurus Pt1911

Three weeks ago I purchased a Taurus PT1911 Duo-Tone and I love this thing! Last weekend I put 950 rounds through it without cleaning. Shoot, reload and shoot again until all ammo was gone. Two failure to feeds. I was using a stock Kimber magazine that sucked when loaded with 8 rounds. The mag did fine with 7 rounds. The stock Taurus mags did great. Accuracy was good but about an inch or two to the left, no big deal. Very happy with this pistol. It is my first 1911. I am planning getting a few more 1911's. It's like an addiction. I want more!
Old August 24, 2009, 06:38 AM   #2
Officer's Match

Congrats. I had a PT1911 that ran like a champ.
Old August 24, 2009, 07:02 AM   #3
srt 10 jimbo

Think I might have to get me one of those. Just got a AR and a 738 tcp though, so I better cool it. Wifes Italian.
Old August 25, 2009, 10:44 PM   #4
Ike1371

It's a great pistol. I really enjoy it. I would like to get some better sights on it but the stock Navaks will do for now. Not to big on the ambi safety either. Gonna change it out.
Old August 25, 2009, 11:17 PM   #5
DasFriek

I have one with the Hienie Straight 8's and they are ok imo,but not the best for target practice imo.Ive been having failure to feed issues with mine that are very intermitant and mags are the prime suspect so far.
Its been a very good gun so far and also alot of fun.Im not worried about the ftf's ill get that worked out quikly.
The PT1911 is alot of gun for what you pay for.
Old August 26, 2009, 07:43 AM   #6
Jeff H

I have one in stainless and it has been great. No problems with it at all.
Old August 26, 2009, 03:26 PM   #7
tex45acp

I just picked up my second Taurus PT-1911 an AR model with an accessory rail. I wanted it for home defense and so I could mount a weapon light/laser on it. Here is the range report for mine:

I finally made it to the range yesterday afternoon with the gun and 300 rounds of different ammunition. If you haven't been watching the weather, it is extremely hot and dry here in south central Texas. Yesterday was no exception. The thermometer at the range showed 102 and 78% humidity. Yuck..so I really was hoping the gun would make my day worthwhile. I started out with 50 rounds each of: Winchester White Box FMJ, Federal FMJ, Mag Tec FMJ, American Eagle FMJ and Winchester SXZ. The last box was my favorite carry ammo Federal 230gr. HydraShok. I shot all groups from a bench, using sandbags as a rest fore and aft. This is not how I usually test my ammo but I wanted some real tests of the guns capability. Most ammo averaged 4"-5" groups with flyers from time to time. I had three failure to extract and one failure to return to battery using the Winchester SXZ, but no problems with the other loads. I cleaned the dirty gun and relubed it before the last group. Lastly I decided to get off the bench for the last 50 and shoot the gun like I would in a home defense situation. The target tells the story. The HydraShoks did as I expected and shot the best of the bunch. In the first 50, I had to make some sight adjustment to the rear sight which was about 3/32" off center. That brought the point of impact to within 1/2" of bullseye. I am happy wih the result, so much that I went by a gun store in the area to pick up some bullets for reloading and in the case they had a Streamlight TLR-2. I mounted it on the rail and did a little haggling over the price until I was happy, and it now has a new permanent home there. I palyed around with it and I have the laser dialed in at 12 yards to point of impact. The light is by far the brightest of any weaponlight I have ever seen. I am a happy camper and now have a new home defense gun, that is going to the range very often.

Old August 26, 2009, 10:37 PM   #8
Ike1371

That is some very good shooting. I just need to practice some more to make my groups look like that. That is some impresive stuff. Good job!
Old August 26, 2009, 10:45 PM   #9
CelticWolf

Just sold mine... It didn't feel constructed very well to me. Kinda cheaply made... it shot like a champ though... cant complain there.
Old August 27, 2009, 11:44 AM   #10
gwnorth

I've never regretted picking up my stainless PT1911 (bought used, but unfired). It was an excellent buy and has given me not one single problem with a few thousand rounds down the tube now. Mine is also still completely stock, since I've had no compelling reason to bother altering anything on it yet.

About the only thing I would change (probably will, at some point) is the straight-8 sights. I've learned to use them well enough, but I don't really like them all that much.
Old August 27, 2009, 03:29 PM   #11
iblong

congrats,I really like mine a lot,I heard of issuses so when I bought it went strieght to the smith for reliabillity work its preformed as well as my colt and is a bit more accurate or mabe I just shoot it better.
Bob.
Old August 27, 2009, 03:34 PM   #12
Sarge43

I've had no trouble with mine, but I haven't shot it all that much. It's a very nice weapon to shoot though.
Welcome to the addiction of the 1911.
Sarge
Old August 27, 2009, 07:36 PM   #13
RobertSB701

A Few Custom Tweaks Later........

It was my first and thus far only 1911 and I am quite pleased. I couldn't leave well enough alone...dropped in a Cylinder & Slide Ultra Light Speed Hammer/Sear set. Along with a titanium sear spring and STI adjustable trigger I got a smooth as glass trigger that breaks a hair over 2 lbs. with a whisker of pre-& over-travel.(yes...it's a range gun only) It's been 100% reliable with about 800 rounds through it.
Glock 21SF | FNH FNP-45 | S&W 686 | Taurus PT1911SS | CZ75 SP01 Tactical 9mm | Buck Mark Stainless Camper | Ruger LCP | Springfield Armory TRP | Springfield Armory XDS-9 | Springfield Armory XDM Compact 9MM | S&W M&P15X | Ruger Mini-14 | Mossberg 500 20ga