The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

View Poll Results: Which hand primer loading unit do you like?
LEE 30 54.55%
RCBS 21 38.18%
OTHER 4 7.27%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 3, 2009, 06:00 PM   #1
Farmland

Hand Loading Primers, what device?

What a surprise today, I had the day off and my youngest want to go to the mall for some books. On the way home I stopped by Gaunder Mt and yes they had large rifle primers and my favorite Winchester at that. At least I like them for hand guns.

In any event I had over 300 25-06 sized and deprimed so I took the time to set the primers.

I started off with a Lee hand primer, not that bad of a unit except it couldn't do Federal primers. So I had bought a RCBS hand primer and put it into action today.

While the RCBS feels like a quality unit I still like the Lee. The one thing that really bugs me on the RCBS is you have to take it apart and use the regular shell holder that you use on the ram. The other thing is that the primer loading rod falls out if you tilt the thing.

The Lee may be cheaper but to tell you the truth I like it.
Old August 3, 2009, 06:19 PM   #2
SL1

I use Lee hand primer

with any type of primers, including Federal. Never had one go off. And, if one did, it really wouldn't matter, because the primer is contained well enough so that only a flame coming out of the case mouth would offer any hazard. So, I just point the case away from me when I squeeze the handle. And I don't have any powder open when I am priming.

Never tried the RCS or any other hand primer tool because the Lee has worked so well for me for for more than 3 decades.

SL1
Old August 3, 2009, 06:30 PM   #3
Wildalaska

Having had boxes of busted Lee priming tools run through here, I would never buy one.

I use the RCBs and adapt to its quirks. Works for me

WildyouarenotyourprimingtoolAlaska ™
Old August 3, 2009, 06:55 PM   #4
emcon5

I have used both the Lee and RCBS. I broke the lever 3 times on the Lee before I junked it.

The upside of the Lee design is that the feedback is better. I had a better feel for what the primer was doing with my thumb on the Lee than using my whole hand on the RCBS. The downside of this is if you are priming a lot of cases, your thumb can get really stiff/sore.

Quote:
The one thing that really bugs me on the RCBS is you have to take it apart and use the regular shell holder that you use on the ram.
The upside is you don't have to buy a specific shell holder for it like you do on the Lee.
Old August 3, 2009, 07:01 PM   #5
Devon

I've been using the RCBS tool for almost 15 yrs. Has worked well for for me. My Dad has the Lee tool and he is happy with it. The only thing about the Lee that I don't like is that it's too small for my hands, I end up using my index and middle fingers and thumb to seat the primers. With the RCBS tool I can use my whole hand to set the primers so I notice a lot less fatigue after 2 or 300 cases.
Old August 3, 2009, 08:40 PM   #6
jepp2

I have 2 Lee hand prime that are over 30 years old. I have never broken any part on them. The new ones must not be made as well. But I have converted over to the RCBS autoprime.

https://shop.rcbs.com/WebConnect/Mai...&route=C06J030

I'm not sure if it is true or not, but I always "heard" the Lee could have a sympathetic detonation of the entire tray if the one being seated gets set off. So I never loaded the tray with more than 50 primers at a time. I could see it happening. Primer dust in system, primer being seated gets turned on it's side, and goes off while being seated, and the whole tray goes.
Old August 3, 2009, 09:23 PM   #7
Ruger4570

I use an "auto primer" tool from RCBS. I just looked it up to get the actual tool name, I couldn't beleive the price,,, over 100 bucks now.WHEW.. I am glad I bought it years ago...
Old August 3, 2009, 10:56 PM   #8
jamaica

Using the RCBS. Have never tried any other hand priming tool.
I get along fine with the RCBS.
Old August 3, 2009, 11:32 PM   #9
armsmaster270

I just use my Dillon 550B to prime them
Old August 4, 2009, 01:02 AM   #10
Crankylove

Lee Hand Primer for me. My brother has the RCBS variant, but I prefer the Lee, I think it is easier to use.
Old August 4, 2009, 02:16 AM   #11
ar15man2009

I prefer my lee as well. The rcbs just doesnt seem to fit me quite right. And i have had no trouble out of the lee. It seems to be more common throughout stores and with local reloaders I know of also.
Old August 4, 2009, 09:21 AM   #12
wncchester

I've used two Lee Auto Primes (one for large, one for small primers, they are that inexpensive!) for well over 20 years without problems. Some do have problems with them but it seems silly to blame the tool for operator error

It is a fact that the operating lever is NOT steel, nor cast iron but it need not be. It is obviously plenty strong enough to seat primers if used correctly. The only way to break one is to use it incorrectly, like trying to jam a primer in sideways or failing to remove a GI crimp are two common reasons. It seems wise to remove any case that is being difficult and correct the problem rather than resorting to Tim Tayler's "use more force" solutions.

Old August 4, 2009, 09:44 AM   #13
margiesex

Press in the past....

I used a press in the past, when I owed a RockChucker. My brother lost that, and then bought me a RCBS Pro 2000 Progressive. I broke the primer gizmo right off.

Since, and probably forever from now on, I use a LeeAutoPrime. I break handles all the time - and trust me, I'm not forcing primers in sideways, or any other way, but correctly. They have just sent me 3 handles, as I broke 2 recently. This time around, I noticed some fine print that says you should grease the handle at the appropriate place, which I have done - and so far, no problem - o. We'll see.

I like the feel of the Lee in seating the actual primer - gives me a full assurance it's seated where it belongs.

Fellas, I've literally primed 1,000's and 1,000's with the Lee and I've never had one go off.

Just did 1,000+ this week - worked like a champ.

I do appreciate the comments on the RCBS, as I have thought of going to that one as a backup...sounds a bit more difficult that the Lee.

God bless.

Margiesex

And remember: Hug your God and your guns - 'cause he's coming for them both, and soon!
Old August 4, 2009, 09:47 AM   #14
Sevens

I started out with a Lee Safety Prime II, which is a press-mounted die and I never looked back.

On the down side, I can't prime cases while I sit on the couch and watch TV. On the good side, I'm not handling explosive primers away from the sanctity of the load bench. Also on the good side, I'm using standard shell holders and didn't have to buy a whole other set just for priming.

Also, I love the precise feel of seating on the upstroke of the press ram.
And the tool costs chump change. It's a steel die, two plastic feed arms, a primer tray with a lid, and a steel poker that sits in the press ram.

It is not a well-known priming tool and from what I gather, it's not at all a popular choice. But I sure like it and I'm in to mine for about $12 and 20 years now. I'd have to say that it's nearly unbreakable. In comparing the price and durability with anyone's hand-priming tool, I think my choice is the clear winner... as long as you don't mind losing the option of priming in bed while eating cheetos and watching late night TV!
Old August 4, 2009, 10:03 AM   #15
Unclenick
Staff

SL1's description of primer blow out is the normal ignition accident mode for the Lee Auto-Prime. The sympathetic detonation of all the remaining primers in the tray mentioned by Jepp2 is what the Lee warning is about, and not the normal failure mode. I've seen it variously reported that this happened to someone who sued Lee, and that's why they have the warning, and also that it simply was because Lee knew the Federal priming mix was more sensitive than most others and were concerned about the potential for the whole tray going off at once. Whatever the cause, Lee bothers to print the Federal exclusion. The solution, IMHO, is just not to use more than 10 primers in the tray at a time. It's easy to drop 10 from the Federal packaging. Always wear safety glasses when priming, no matter the brand. Wearing a leather glove on your operating hand can't hurt.

If you read the Auto-Prime instructions, you'll note the warranty is voided if you don't lubricate it as specified. Most people ignore that and let it pack up with primer pocket residue over time and just keep forcing it. I believe that is the source of most of its failures.

The best hand priming tool has to come with the question, best for what? If you are into precision ammunition rather than volume, my personal preference is for Ken Markel's design, made by K&M. It has a concentric spring-loaded sleeve that forces the face of the casehead to be truly perpendicular to the primer before the primer starts in. It's head's threads can be operated loose and thereby adjusted to the position that gives you the ultimate in tactile feedback of primer touch-down in the bottom of the primer pocket. It's about $40. Bruno carries them. The drawback to speed demons is that, like most benchrest tools, it primes one-at-a-time. There is no feed mechanism or tray other than the tips of your fingers and the primer flipping tray you have sitting on the bench.

Regarding the RCBS shell holders, just buy a separate shell holder so you can leave your press alone. Lee's is inexpensive. They are physically cross-compatible for the most part. The numbering systems differ, though, so you have to use the chambering key for your particular set.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle

Last edited by Unclenick; August 4, 2009 at 10:09 AM.
Old August 4, 2009, 10:26 AM   #16
Doodlebugger45

I use an RCBS hand primer just because that was the only brand I could find when I started. It does the job very well. I just hate changing out the shell holder. Sure you can buy a separate shell holder for your press, but I change calibers just about every day. It just seems like they could make the change out more efficient. It's not bad usually, but a few times when I was taking it apart, the little lever and spring came out and I was looking all over the floor for them. But basically, I like it pretty well. I've only had one primer go into the pocket sideways and I could instantly feel the difference before I ever put much pressure on it. So, it's safe and effective and my only complaint is pretty minor.
Old August 4, 2009, 10:31 AM   #17
Uncle Buck

RCBS Hand Primer here. I bought another shell holder ($5.00) and just keep it on the hand primer. As a newbie loader, I enjoy the simplicity of it.
Old August 4, 2009, 04:31 PM   #18
alloy

My rcbs works real good, it doesn't use shellholders, one size fits all type of thing, but you change the plunger and the tray holder for large or small primers. Only kind I've ever tried so I can't compare...but I likey.
Old August 4, 2009, 05:16 PM   #19
putteral

Love the Lee!