The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 10, 2009, 01:12 PM   #1
dmozer

Reloading .223, 6.8 and .204

Hey all, I will be reloading .223 and .204 mainly. I will be reloading for Prairie Dog shooting, and some paper punching. Eventually I plan to get a single stage for the purpose of accurate reloading, but for now my main concern is volume reloading. Enough background, here's my question: My Dad, brother and I will be purchasing a reloader, we've decided on a Dillon progressive, but I was wondering if $33/piece more is worth the money to go from the 550 to the 650.
Old March 10, 2009, 02:17 PM   #2
Oberg

Have you ever reloaded before? If not I would suggest buying a single stage first. I thought like you when I started but got a single stage for free and wow do you ever learn. there is alot of things that you wont think of or wont know. and even with a single stage you can get out about 100 rounds an hour after you get it set up. and with some help you can cut that down to like 45 per 100 (have some prime the cases for you)
Old March 10, 2009, 02:39 PM   #3
TonsofOregonBrass

Hornady

I started on a progressive Press (hornady lock n load Ap) in some ways i wish i had started on a single stage. you are going to break some things learning. IMHO it would be cheaper to break a single stage learning then move up to the volume reloading once you know and understand what everything is doing. there is a lot to keep track of when you are using a progressive. But then again that is just my .02. i did learn a lot from breaking some things also, just cost me a lot more money.
Old March 10, 2009, 02:46 PM   #4
mkl

+1 for the single stage first.

If none of you has ever reloaded before, there is going to be quite a bit of frustration trying to figure out what is wrong if your reloads don't chamber and 4 or 5 operations are going on simultaneously, and you are not very familiar with what the case should look like after each one.

Powder bridging can also be an issue with small case mouths and extruded powders which can give you partially charged or over charged cases. Primer seating correctly is also an issue sometimes.

It can, and frequently has, been done, but it sure is not the least frustrating way to begin reloading.

Best of luck whichever way you decide to go. Reloading is a great hobby as well as a significant cost savings for metallic cartridges.

Last edited by mkl; March 10, 2009 at 02:58 PM. Reason: added the powder/primer cautions