The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 12, 2007, 04:17 PM   #1
justlucky

? setting a Redfield Widefield Scope ?

How do you zero a Redfield Widefield Scope? Mine ia a 3x9 with an additional yardage adjustment on the front of the scope. Could someone please elaborate on how to zero it. I will be using a 50 yard target and then probably adjust at 200 yards. I am setting it up on a 270 using 150 grain Remington soft point core-lok shells. I want to zero it for 200 yards so I will be just under an inch high at 50 yards. Will the front adjustment need to be moved at the different yardages?
Thanks!
Old November 12, 2007, 06:25 PM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Sounds like that yardage adjustment up front is Adjustable Object, AO. That's for taking parallax out. Parallax is when you move your eye away from one point view through the scope to another point (say, center line to off-centerline) and the crosshairs appear to shift on the target.

Start out with it set at 50 yards; then set it to 200 and forget about it.

Art
Old November 12, 2007, 06:34 PM   #3
crowbeaner

I set my parallax at 100 meters. Then I sight in 1 1/2 inches high at 100 yards, and put the caps back on. This works just fine for the 150 grain bullets in the 30/06, and usually is 1 1/2 inches low with the 180s. If you have the older Redfield without the clicks, be aware that 1 line is 1 inch at 100. Sometimes you might have to tweak the setting a half line or so depending on the bullet type and mfg., and the powder charge/velocity differences. Hope this helps. CB.
Old November 12, 2007, 10:53 PM   #4
justlucky

Thank you for the help.

Thanks.
I am going to do some research on paralllex.
I am trying to start understanding more and am in the process of resetting all my scopes. I am trying to start taking the longer shots that I have passed on before. Also, I purchased a Leupold bore sighter and am finally capable of setting a scope instead of asking someone to set it for me. I always hated that.

Thanks again.
Old November 13, 2007, 09:21 AM   #5
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Bore-sighting? When I'm really lazy, I just set the rifle on some arrangement of books on the dining table, and point it out the window at something that's a hundred or so yards away.

Remove the bolt, look through the bore to center the car window or electric transformer or whatever object is convenient. Adjust the crosshairs to that. Meddle with it until my optimism says I'm good to start shooting.

For my first shots, I try to center at 25 yards, which pretty much guarantees I won't be far wrong at 100 yards. After that, it's the usual routine.