The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 1, 2000, 07:58 PM   #1
NiteSite

Both my Lee 45/70 and .45 Colt dies have "round nose" bullet seaters, and I have not located any screw in replacements that are better suited for fat nose lead bullets. My RCBS .357 seater has 3 different Seaters that I acquired somewhere years ago. No one seems to stock minor die parts like these - or at least none of the most popular sources seem to. I know these parts are available somewherem and would appreciate some input. Thanks.
Old October 1, 2000, 08:00 PM   #2
NiteSite

Should read "Flat Nose". Sorry.
Old October 1, 2000, 10:31 PM   #3
JimWolford

Need a special seater screw? Make one<s>

Easier than you think, it goes like this-

Pull the seater screw out of the die and turn it "wrong side up" place the bullet you intend to use down on it and check for clearances ( what needs to be changed )

Cut a piece from a waxed cardboard milk carton and wrap it around your seating screw ( you are building a form )

Rub a bit of grease on your sample bullet so nothing sticks.

Mix up a bit of epoxy ( I used Bondo ) and dab it onto the nose of your seating screw.

Place your sample bullet down onto the seating screw and hold it there until the epoxy sets up.

Remove your "form" and set the screw aside for 24 hours.

Thats it<s> it should work for quite a while if you aren't too rough on it.

Jim

------------------
Lay up some blackpowder and flints
The rest we can build, if need be
Old October 2, 2000, 03:56 PM   #4
NiteSite

Innovative, thanks. Does this mean that the manufacturers no longer offer other nose configurations? Apparently, Lee does not, nor can I find a reference in my Redding catalog.
Old October 2, 2000, 10:36 PM   #5
JimWolford

RCBS offers about 4 different shapes, I dont know about Lee dies as I try to stay away from them

Jim

------------------
Lay up some blackpowder and flints
The rest we can build, if need be
Old October 3, 2000, 01:04 PM   #6
Chris McDermott

I had problems with my Redding .45 ACP seating die - the seating plug was for a round-nose bullet and my SWC were tilting. I emailed Redding asking if the seating plug for the 45 Colt was a SWC design and would they interchange, Redding replied and asked for my address and sent me a SWC seating plug for free in the mail. GREAT service.
Old October 3, 2000, 05:09 PM   #7
Contender

Nite Site,

Shoot a quick e-mail over to Lee Precision. They can probably make up a special seater plug for you. Tell them all you need pretty much is a flat faced seater plug for a like bullet.