The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 27, 2002, 08:30 AM   #1
mellow

Need RCBS pro 2000 help - die selection

thanks all for helping me decide on a new press. Once again, I'd be loading .45acp and 9mm. It's pretty much come down to the rcbs pro 2000 but. . . .

I need some help with die selection.

From what I understand, I need a:
1)Sizer/decapper
2)Expander
3)Seater
4)Crimper

Questions: I can buy any brand for any of these dies?? Does the 2000 come with any dies??

What I would like:
1)Redding Titanium Carbide Sizer/Decapper
2)?????????
3)Redding Comp bullet seater
4)Lee's Factory Carbide Crimp

Do I got a pretty good set up here?? What would you recommend??

As you can see on station #2, I don't know what to get for an expander die. I think redding makes one. I could always see if I can get RCBS's. Again, what would you recommend?

Thanks all so much for your help.
Old November 27, 2002, 11:03 AM   #2
ZeusOne

Don't know about the Redding dies, but people have written well of them.

I use Lee dies on my 2000 with good success. Lee now makes a 4 die set (Carbide sizer/decapper, Expander, Seat/Crimp & Carbide Factory Crimp) for those calibers. $30 or so? I know Midway USA has them.
Old November 27, 2002, 11:21 AM   #3
Jim Watson

Nearly all loading dies these days are threaded 7/8x14 and are generally interchangeable. You might have to change out lockrings on some progressive machines, and some of the older Lees have short threaded sections that make them harder to use on, say, a Dillon. I just bought a new CFC die for my S1050, for example.

You could get the regular TiN set for $44 from Midway. That will get you a sizing die, expander die, and standard seating die.
If you found that you needed to make tiny, precise adjustments in bullet seating for tuning an already very accurate gun, or if you wanted to load more than one bullet in the caliber and wanted a micrometer reading to return to when you changed loads; THEN you could add the Competition Seating Die at a cost of $46.50 from Midway.
But the regular seating die will load good ammo once you have it set.

The Lee CFC die is good; about $11 from Midway. Set the Redding standard seating die to seat but not crimp. I doubt the Competition die has a crimping shoulder.

(Carbide sizing and CFC dies for 9mm are a little more expensive because the tapered case requires a longer carbide insert.)
Old November 27, 2002, 11:36 AM   #4
Cal4D4

I don't believe the Redding Pro (as in progressive) die sets include an expander. Explained away as most popular progressive presses (Dillon) includes expander as part of caliber change kit. Lyman sells one with several different caliber inserts. It works ok.
Old November 27, 2002, 12:10 PM   #5
Jim Watson

Cal, you are correct. I understand the RCBS does need an expander die so he should get the standard die set from Redding, not the Pro. List price on the Redding Pro Competition with micrometer seater is $144, plus the cost of an expander. Cheaper to get the regular Redding and then replace the seater if he sees a strong need for the micrometer to twiddle.