The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 10, 2013, 08:22 PM   #26
mykeal

I have no quarrel with Hawg's antipathy towards the ROA. I just like to poke him in the ribs a little now and then. He can stand it.

Historical accuracy is important to me too, but I also like the gun. Just a burden I have to live with.
Old March 10, 2013, 10:56 PM   #27
North East Redneck

As Doc says the loading lever design is not good. It functions quite well for ramming a ball, but is not user friendly when breaking down the gun.
The quality of the gun and the way it shoots is well worth owning it. Hawg has no use for em, but others do. I'd keep it unless you need the $$. And personally, even if I needed the money, that's a keeper. Sell something else.
Old March 12, 2013, 05:59 PM   #28
ghengiskhan

Read and understood. I doubt I'll get rid of it anytime soon. It doesn't take up any room in secure storage so I can't justify getting rid of it.

We'll see how I like cap 'n' ball shooting - who knows; it could become a new favorite!
Old March 13, 2013, 06:04 AM   #29
Doc Hoy

GK

Your Remington will act a good bit like the ROA in terms of operation. The ROA is just a more refined experience start to finish.

I have two predictions which I will respectfully mention:

1. You will eventually shoot that ROA.

2. More revolvers including Colt clones are in your future.
Old March 13, 2013, 11:35 AM   #30
Noz

Hawg, I agree completely. No interest in them at all.
Old March 13, 2013, 05:11 PM   #31
Hawg

Quote:
Hawg, I agree completely. No interest in them at all.
I knew I couldn't possibly be alone.
Old March 13, 2013, 06:06 PM   #32
Hellgate

Uh, ....... Me too? (No use for or interest in the ROA)
SASS#3302 (Life), SASS Regulator, NRA (Life), Dirty Gamey Bastards #129
Wolverton Mtn. Peacekeepers (WA), former Orygun Cowboy (Ranger, Posse from Hell)
Old March 13, 2013, 06:25 PM   #33
ghengiskhan

More? Colts? Ugh... I think I have enough!

Old March 13, 2013, 07:06 PM   #34
Fingers McGee

Is this confession time at ROAA (Ruger Old Armies Annonymous)?

Hello, my name is Fingers McGee and I have a pair of ROAs. I succumbed to an evil spell cast upon me by The Brisco Kid, Oliver Loving, Wyandot Jim, Deacon Stone, and J-Bar. They forced me to buy a pair of ROAs and................, as much as I hate to admit it...................., they made me shoot them too.

I swear though, I did not enjoy it, and have hidden the offending revolvers in the back of my gunsafe behind an 1884 Trapdoor so I won't be tempted to use them ever again. They're only being kept for "Investment Purposes".
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old March 14, 2013, 09:11 AM   #35
Noz

I bow to Finger's superior knowledge in many things. I was appalled by his purchase of the ROAs. I only regained my respect for him when he told me he had hidden them away and would only bring them out in case of a huge offer.
Old March 14, 2013, 10:53 AM   #36
woodnbow

I'm surprised that so many

have issues with the loading lever design... If I were after quick reloads with spare cylinders I could conceed that point but if that were the case, why bother installing the rammer at all?

I've always liked the way you can pull the loading lever, rammer and base pin with one hand, replacing it seems to me to be very easy as well and I'm only average in terms of manual dexterity... YMMV but quit hatin' on Bill's best design!!
Old March 14, 2013, 11:48 AM   #37
Hellgate

I forgive you Fingers. Remember, those things are like Kryptonite. Don't touch them. They are toxic. The only reason to have one (or in your case, TWO) is for investment purposes so that some day you can profit from someone's greater foolishness.
SASS#3302 (Life), SASS Regulator, NRA (Life), Dirty Gamey Bastards #129
Wolverton Mtn. Peacekeepers (WA), former Orygun Cowboy (Ranger, Posse from Hell)
Old March 14, 2013, 12:18 PM   #38
Fingers McGee

You can never have enough.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghengiskhan
More? Colts? Ugh... I think I have enough!
but, this is a good start

Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old April 26, 2013, 01:09 PM   #39
sebou

Whaooooo nice collection ! Congrats
Old April 26, 2013, 04:24 PM   #40
Fingers McGee

Hey Sebou. Where you been hiding?? Haven't seen you post in awhle.
Old April 26, 2013, 07:23 PM   #41
Doc Hoy

Going to try to pick up some more at the Gun Show this week end.

1860s and rifles

1851 patterns

Smaller revolvers

Old April 26, 2013, 07:26 PM   #42
Doc Hoy

Not quite enough

Closed frame and Dragoons

Cartridge revolvers

ROAs and two I don't have cases for

Old April 26, 2013, 07:31 PM   #43
Doc Hoy

And finally

A .41 caliber five shot Smith and Wesson copy that my father brought back from China during WW II. And a .32 that my Great Aunt carried in her purse up until the last time she was out of the house. The occassion was two weeks before she crossed over to the other side. She was out with my folks drinking gin and tonic at a bar in Naples, FL. Had the .32 in her purse. She was 99 years of age and almost completely blind. My dad made sure the .32 was unloaded.