The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old September 22, 2012, 09:52 PM   #1
Polinese

Hogue stock question

I've seen rubber dry out and crack etc before. Will this happen to a hogue stock after a while or is it more of a rubberized material than actual rubber that wont suffer this problem.
Old September 22, 2012, 10:08 PM   #2
jmr40

For the record a Hogue on a centerfire would be my last choice. They are OK on a 10-22, but I don't like them at all on centerfires.

But to answer your question. I've had one on a 10-22 for a years with no problems. I do suspect that if they were exposed to a lot of sunlight you would see some breakdown sooner than with other stocks. The soft rubber coating is over a harder plastic interior. While I've never seen it happen, I'd also suspect that if dropped on something hard, such as rocks or concrete the coating could tear.

My complaint is with the ergonomics and extreme weight on larger rifles, not with accuracy or durability. They add some weight to a 10-22 that helps and those stocks are not as bulky, fat and clunky as the centerfire stocks.
Old September 23, 2012, 03:33 PM   #3
Polinese

It's gonna be going on a heavy barreled rifle so weight isn't a huge concern. Between the stocks available/affordable for the project I actually liked the hogue (with the full bedding block) but didn't know how that material would hold up. Other contenders being a boyds thumbhole varmint, choate ultimate sniper, choate tactical and maybe a B&C medalist if i can squeaze just a little more out of my wallet.
Old September 23, 2012, 05:15 PM   #4
603Country

Polinese, jrm40 and I respectfully disagree on the Hogue stock. I bought one for my Ruger 223 and I'm very fond of it. It isn't a lightweight stock, but my rifle sure shoots better than it did. I got the one with the full aluminum bedding channel. Instant drop-in fit, though I did have to remove a little aluminum when I later installed a Timney trigger.
Old September 23, 2012, 08:29 PM   #5
Polinese

Sounds like it might be what I"m looking for, at least for now and then i can upgrade later on.