The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 27, 2008, 10:05 PM   #1
jesse83

question about loading....

hey everyone...new to this forum, and a new gun owner...i just purchased a mossberg 500 /w pistol grip for home defense...and ive read alot of people out there say they have no use for or dont like the pistol grip style because of accuracy issues...i bought it because it's cheap, and its small, (which works for my small house) ...i think it will do just fine....the ammo i have it loaded with is 2-3/4 00 buck low recoil as recommended by the gunshop owner.....sorry bout the rambling....

the real question i had was, how does everyone load there shotguns? or how would u recommend i load mine? chamber empty? loaded? how many in magazine? action opened or closed?

just bought the shotgun 2 hours ago and ive got it loaded like this....chamber empty. trigger pulled. safety on. (7) 00 low recoil in mag....this ok?

ive seen a lot of people doing it differently, so thats why im asking/wondering...originally i thought the best way would be to have a fully loaded magazine with one in the chamber, already cocked, with safety on....just take the safety off and your good to go...im guessing more people dont do this because its more dangerous and takes away a step in case someone gets ahold of the gun thats not experienced....?

thanks in advance
Old May 28, 2008, 12:22 PM   #2
10-96

Empty chamber is always a good way to go. But, always keep in mind things like: Will non-firearm savy friends be likely to get close to it and play with it? Got curious kids you haven't trained yet? Do other kids / relatives kids come over? What is / will be you own experience level? How / where will it be stored or kept?

Some things are best worked out yourself seein as how there's a lot of details we don't know. But, whatever you do- don't listen to the bunkum going around that an intruder will flee in pure fear when you rack the slide. It could happen- but don't bet your life on it- be ready to shoot and take a life to save a life the second you pick it up.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old May 28, 2008, 04:39 PM   #3
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

If you can have the gun on safety and it be safe from AD/ND than why slight yerself room for one more....
Don't buy into the "The BG will poop in his pants when he hears the slide racked..." crowd...
Brent
Old May 28, 2008, 05:52 PM   #4
Rampant_Colt

welcome to the board

I keep my pump-shotguns loaded cruiser-style: Loaded magazine, empty chamber, dropped hammer. Whether you want to pull the trigger and drop the hammer down is entirely a personal choice that's up to you

The only problem i see is by pumping the sg you may be escalating the situation. I personally am not comfortable with my shotguns in condition one, or loaded chamber, safety on. You can argue that pumping the sg could give away your hiding position as well

Last edited by Rampant_Colt; May 28, 2008 at 07:04 PM.
Old May 28, 2008, 07:03 PM   #5
jesse83

10-96 - you mentioned factors like having friends,relatives, kids over...negative to all...we very rarely have anyone over the house. and its stored under the bed where theres only a 3 inch clearance to the floor.

Rampant_Colt - i agree with what u said about escalating the situation and also giving away your position...because its highly unlikely that they know the layout of your house, and i keep all my doors closed...my room might be the last one they would check....i can see racking the forearm and then the intruder will just start shooting because he knows/thinks im coming around that corner any second...

i dont have people over and the gun isnt easily accessible, i think im leaning towards a loaded chamber, cocked and locked.

i talked to my brother about it...he is a hunter and lives on land, so of course he told me he always has his gun chambered and ready to just fire because deer are often just walking around his land...must be nice
Old May 28, 2008, 08:09 PM   #6
Rampant_Colt

Some folks suggest doing a room to room search.. I guess it depends on the particular situation and scenario on what to do. I had to make that decision one time myself.

You may live in a rural area where local PD or sheriffs are miles away. Dialing 911 doesn't ensure anybody's safety because it may take as long as 20-30 minutes for them to arrive!

"To Serve and Protect"

I don't see any problem keeping your shotgun with a loaded chamber, safety on, but definitely make sure there's no excessive oil that could drip down and deactivate the primer.
Old May 28, 2008, 10:15 PM   #7
Scattergun Bob

jesse83

Welcome to the forum! I am just uncomfortable with scatterguns stored in condition 1. I think the disadvantages out weigh the advantages.

1st - I am not a big fan of leaving shotgun springs compressed over a long period of time. It is true that spring manufacturing processes have improved, still why compromise the springs.

2nd - I do not agree that racking the scattergun will in some way escalate your enemy or compromise your position. I believe your calling for the cops has already done that.

3rd - No shotgun safety locks the sear, they all just block the trigger. The quote below is a little lecture I give my students, maybe it will help you.

Every small arm in the worlds inventory has two effective safeties;
#1 -The primary safety for every weapon is between the ears of the operator! And
#2 -The secondary safety for every weapon is the index finger that presses upon the trigger.
Beyond the primary and secondary safeties, there are no mechanical devices that will render YOUR weapon safe. All mechanical safeties have failed or were defeated by operators.

I carry and store my defensive scatterguns in condition 3 rounds in the tube, hammer down, safety off.

Good luck and be safe