The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old April 1, 2007, 04:52 PM   #1
Ian2005

Turkey Time

For those of us who haven't been yet, and the season just opened (at least here in TX), tell us your results / stories / photos.
Old April 1, 2007, 06:52 PM   #2
lockedcj7

Got one Sat. (opening day) morning in SC. I was back home by 8:30. Weirdest turkey I've ever killed. He was obviously a gobbler, red-white-blue head, chasing a jake, gobbling and struting but no beard. Longest, sharpest spurs of any bird I've ever taken. 3" 2oz #5 Remington Premier from a Hastings turkey choke and Benelli M-1 Super 90 laid him down at 30 yards like a sack of potatoes. He was gobbling on the roost before sunrise, flew down and made his way straight to me. He gobbled plenty but it was never an answer to my calling He sure was tender though

Could have shot the jake too since he didn't run off right away but I passed. I've never shot a jake but I'm not above it. I usually get 1-2 mature toms per year and that's enough for me.

I'll try it again one afternoon this week.
Old April 1, 2007, 09:36 PM   #3
FirstFreedom

Nice story, cj - did you KNOW that you were near a roost when you set up? Could the gobbler see your decoys from where he was in the roost?

Can't wait till Thursday - going out Thurs and season starts Fri morning (apr 6th).
Old April 2, 2007, 02:26 AM   #4
lil_bro

The youth season was open this weekend so I went one and shot this guy today.(my first one to.)

I heard him gobbling about 2:00 this afternoon around a creek that runs through our property so I go out and sit by a tree about 50yds from the creek and started calling but he didn't respond and stopped gobbling.I was not sure where he went but I thought that he might have went up one of the oil field roads that runs through the very back of our property so I took a shortcut to try to get in front of him before he went off our property.I got to the road about 50yds right behind him and another tom.They saw me but didn't seem to care and just kept walking down the road.I waited untill they went off the road and into the thick brush that is along the sides of the road and then I crouched down and very quickly and very quietly walk down the road to the spot where they both went into the brush.I stood up to see both of them about 30yds into the brush looking right at me so I took the safety off of my maverick,put the bead on his neck about 3" below his head,squeezed the trigger,and down he went.When I got closer I saw that he still had his eyes open and he was looking at me so I shoot him a second and then he start flopping around so I knew I hit him good the second time.

The load I was using was Remington Heavy-Dove .no6 with a ex-full choke.

So anyway thats my turkey story.

Michael.
Old April 2, 2007, 08:08 AM   #5
lockedcj7

FF- Yeah, I knew the roost was 100 yds downhill from my position. I've killed many turkeys over the years from that same hillside so I knew what I was doing. I doubt he could see the decoys since the woods are thick. He knew I was there because I did call a few times (I believe that less-is-more in that regard) and I think he just came to investigate. I've had them do that before where they come in hushed-up but they still come.

lil_bro - That's awesome. I've never been able to stalk-and-shoot a turkey like that and it looks like a mature bird. I have bushwhacked a few (shooting them as they walk by on a trail like a deer. No calling, no decoys.) Load up with a good #4 or #5 turkey load and you won't need to shoot 'em twice.
Old April 2, 2007, 09:25 AM   #6
fisherman66

Congradulations lil_bro. Great bird.
Old April 5, 2007, 01:53 PM   #7
Huntergirl

Wow! lil bro, nice Bird! I'll be right down, heeheee. Wyoming doesn't have the greatest turkey hunting. But I'm going anyways. Will take the shotgun and the 22mag{allowed here}, and slog the mud by Buffalo, Wy. Might as well bring a good book....