The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old April 21, 2010, 10:11 PM   #1
deadcoyote

Swede Mauser Diopter Sights?

I just bought an 1899 manufactured Swede Mauser in good shape. I'd like to add one of the old swede target sights to it. A few Questions:

1. Can these sights be installed without modifying the rifle/hurting value?
2. Any recommendations about which worked best for you, I see there are many types.
3. Good source for these sights at a fair price?
Old April 28, 2010, 11:57 AM   #2
m.p.driver

Whether you go with Soderin,Pramm,or an Elit you'll have to drill your receiver.The only rifle that i drilled was a mis matched 96 that i put a medium-heavy match barrel on,and then dropped into a target stock a friend had made.
I have swede's that i bought with adjustable sights and out of them all i like the Pramm just because it's smaller and simple to use.
Best bet is just to keep checking ebay,various sights come up but be prepared for the price shock,$300 +,ouch!!
One alternative is a MOJO rear sight,that replace the rear leaf,while not authentic it's a step up from open sights.
With the way Swede's are going up in price i cant justify to myself altering any 96's or 38's anymore.Especially if it matching in excellent shape.Oh for the days when you could find hundreds on the tables for $39-$79.
Old April 29, 2010, 05:01 PM   #3
deadcoyote

I went with the full MOJO muicro click front/rear sight set, only $81 shipped. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Old May 12, 2010, 03:03 PM   #4
rick983

Swedish Mauser Diopter Sights

I put a set of MoJo sights on 5 years ago and never looked back. Wonderful sights, especially for aging eyes.
Old May 24, 2010, 05:53 PM   #5
fast-eddie

I bought a 94 carbine with a Redfield receiver sight, it look to be an ad on though.