The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 16, 2009, 01:13 AM   #1
Mr.Monday

Is it possible to make and extended Browing BLR clip?

Kind of a stupid qestion but it's been nagging me for a while, as far as I know there is no extended aftrmarket extended clip for a BLR so I'm wondering if there is the possiblility of going to a very competent and experianced gunsmith (I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed but fiddling around in the garage with a dremal, a blueprint drawn on a napkin and a prayer doesn't seem to me the smartest option.) and ask for a job like this without getting laughed out of the shop?
Old November 16, 2009, 01:56 AM   #2
jgcoastie

IIRC, the BLR uses the same hinged floorplate design as the BAR. Wherein the floorplate actually holds the magazine and holds it in place when closed into the action...

So... If you could have a smith figure out how to hold the magazine in place sans floorplate, possibly with a "tab" that would lock into the slot that locks the floorplate in place... It might be possible...

What caliber is your BLR chambered in? If it is a cartridge that is based on the .308 Win (.243, 7mm-08, .308... .260 also, but it's not offered in the BLR) you could use AR-10 (or M14) magazines with an adapter that you could have your smith fabricate... It may be necessary to weld A BLR magazine to the top of the higher-capacity ones...

All in all, it seems like a lot of work for little gain...
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.
Old November 16, 2009, 02:00 AM   #3
jgcoastie

From a bit of searching, you wouldn't have any high-capacity magazines to use as a base if your BLR is chambered in anything but .243, 7mm-08 or .308...

For the amount of work and money involved, you'd just about be better off buying a rifle that is built to accept high-capacity magazines... The Remington R-25 comes to mind, along with a myriad of other offerings...
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.