The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 29, 2009, 01:00 PM   #26
AJG

I'd definately carry both a shotgun & a pistol. The high powered rifle isn't going to do you any good if its a close confrontation, I'd much rather be throwing big 1 ounce pieces of hardened lead 3" Magnums at the deamon. A good slug can do an amazing amount of damage and definately take down a charging bear.

Handgun cal =
.44 mag or
.454 Casul or
.50 S/W

M500 with:
Lightfield Hybred-Elite 3" Magnums or
Dixie Tusker 3"
Old June 29, 2009, 01:58 PM   #27
bigghoss

morgage your house so you can afford the first payment to put a smith X-frame on lay-away
Old June 29, 2009, 03:19 PM   #28
Hank15

http://www.winchester.com/products/n...P3product.aspx

Those are nice, but kind of pricy at a few $ per shot.

Buffalo Bore and Winchester Leverevolution ammo for the revolver sound fine too.

If you really don't want to carry a shotgun, you can consider these:

http://www.extremeshockusa.com/cgist...d=6706542.9616

I remember they did a test with their 9mm and it took down a 400+ lb boar or hog with a single shot.
Old June 29, 2009, 04:53 PM   #29
Senator Vitaman

EXTREME SHOCK is essentially a glaser slug. That is, it expands exremely rapidly and is probably filled with birdshot. In other words, if you shoot a bear with it it will only be a flesh wound. In fact, that round doesn't even meet the FBI standards for the rounds they use, and they concerned with criminals, not bears.
Notice it doesn't say where they shot the hog, it could have been a neck shot. It doesn't even say they used extreme shock.

I'd also avoid any buckshot. The stuff has about the power of a 9mm or less per pellet. I don't think shooting a grizzly bear 9 times with a 9mm would really harm it much.

Last edited by Senator Vitaman; June 29, 2009 at 04:58 PM.
Old June 29, 2009, 05:03 PM   #30
Nnobby45

Since there's such a shortage of opinions on this thread, I'll add my 10 cents worth (inflation).

The Mossberg 500 is but a platform capable of launching a slug. If you're skilled in it's use, the stock length is correct, and the gun is reliable, then why wouldn't it be as suitable as any other?

Since Grizzlies are big and tough, I think the folks up there tend to use hard slugs like Brennekes, as someone mentioned, for better penetration.
Old June 29, 2009, 06:29 PM   #31
banditt007

Those dixie slugs are some seriously nice slugs. The best for large dangerous game for a shotgun IMO. I'd completely skip any and all buckshot. Also if you go brenneke's i'd go for a heavier slug than the 1oz, though it may have less velocity. With slugs on dangerous animals my take is you want the heaviest slug, that will not deform and will drive deep. Many times lighter + higher velocity = less penetration.

If i was you i'd have bear spray and the shotgun filled with proper slugs only. Also do NOT buy sabot slugs. full bore slugs only
Old June 30, 2009, 05:54 PM   #32
Brigadier

12 ga: http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/catalo.../12-gauge-slug

.44 Mag: http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/catalo...low-point-ammo
Old July 1, 2009, 04:17 AM   #33
fast-eddie

spray

Bear spray. with the shotgun and .44 for back up
Old July 7, 2009, 11:15 AM   #34
CraigC

I'd love to see some penetration testing of the various 12ga slugs as compared to heavyweight cast bullets from a big bore rifle or even a heavy revolver. Because I have a REALLY hard time believing that a slug would give better penetration than a .45/70 loaded with a 400gr hardcast at 2000fps. Muzzle energy is meaningless in this discussion.
Old July 8, 2009, 12:21 PM   #35
SamStafford

I'll go with the Mossy 500 12ga with 00 Buck and Slugs. You can't go wrong there.
Old July 8, 2009, 12:50 PM   #36
spacemanspiff

From someone who lives in Alaska, a 12 gauge with slugs will be adequate. Intersperse some buckshot in there, won't hurta thing. And yes, carry a backup, and have your son equipped with bear spray. But it when you get up here, most places have the holsters so they carry easily on the hips.
Feel free to bring the beretta to carry if you are wandering around Anchorage or Fairbanks.

Don't forget if you get pulled over by police or troopers or fish & wildlife, present your photo id and permit to carry, hand them over, saying "State law requires I show you these, and advise you that I am carrying."
If you don't you can get charged with a 'misconduct involving weapons charge'.

Have fun while you are up here! Oh yeah, do the touristy thing, and stop in Anchorage, get a few tshirts from Wild West Guns, Humpys Great Alaska Alehouse, and the Great Alaskan Bush Company.