The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old January 25, 2009, 12:32 PM   #26
fal308
Staff Alumnus

That's pretty cool. I suppose most folks don't care as it's not a tactikool EBR.
Have you noticed whether the action gets dirtier with the suppressor attached?
Old January 25, 2009, 03:58 PM   #27

I don't know, I have never fired it. I just got it back from being threaded within the last few days.
I don't see why the action would get any dirtier. The action is locked upon firing. Now on a semi-auto the action definitely gets a lot dirtier with the suppressor.

I actually think that this project might turn out to be a nice surprise. The .38 Special case, loaded with a 180 grain bullet will not have a lot of empty space in it. The subsonic loads will be normal (not downloaded) loads. It is firing a relatively heavy bullet that should give good penetration. The breech is locked when you fire it, so it will be a little more quiet than an autoloader. You can easily see the sights with the suppressor attached. The suppressor is pretty light on the end of the barrel for a suppressed rifle.
From behind each fence and farmyard wall,
Chasing the redcoats down the lane,
Then crossing the fields to emerge again
Under the trees at the turn of the road,
And only pausing to fire and load.
Old January 31, 2009, 07:16 PM   #28
Singlesix1954

There is no price too high

I would say that the guy needs to get a racey new 22 hornet for this fox.
But if he wants to put a can on his lever that is cool too.
My point is if you are buying new equip. for work you need to watch every cent. However you can't spend too much on a hoby. Work is there everyday and is to get money. Life is short and money spent on fun is envestment in life. I'v been to a lot of grave yards, never seen a rock that said "Wish I Spent More Time At Work."
Old February 11, 2009, 03:07 AM   #29
Yellowfin

The pics don't show up anymore Could you update the links and maybe give us a pic or two with the cans on them? I'm really itching to see this, as I'd like to get my wife's favorite rifles done like this when if we're in PA for her next job assignment.
Old February 12, 2009, 09:47 AM   #30
johnwilliamson062

I can't tell if that last post is serious or not.

I would also like to see updated links as I can not view the pictures.
Old February 12, 2009, 12:51 PM   #31

Not to be a jerk but I decided that it probably isn't a good idea to post pictures of my guns on the internet. In addition, I am tired of replying to threads like this and nobody even bothers to answer you.
The guy posted this thread, I took the time to post information directly applicable to what he was asking and he can't even bother to answer. If you post idle speculation, guesses, or your opinion the thread continues. The minute you post any factual information and you are talking to yourself.

So, I took all my photos down from the photohosting site and as a result they don't show up anymore. Sorry.
Old February 12, 2009, 01:03 PM   #32
johnwilliamson062

If it makes you feel better I looked up tornado tech and saved their site to my favorites.
Old February 17, 2009, 03:16 PM   #33
jestertoo

My 357 contender with 9mm can is VERY quiet using 158gr and 180gr 38spl loads.

Another, more legal idea for backyard critters, are some of the moderated 22 and 25cal pellet guns. A moderated 40gr 25cal pellet at 1000fps is damn effective, accurate as hell, cheap to shoot and quiet. No tax stamp needed.
Old March 19, 2009, 07:24 PM   #34
jgcoastie

Quote:
All this to kill a fox?
Agreed.

This endeavor sounds like a very expensive one, not to mention the paper trail leading to your door, months of waiting, etc. You might try thinking about some more cost effective solutions.

- Aguila Super Colibri (.22lr powered by the force of the primer, no gunpowder)
- High-powered air rifle
- Bow and arrows
- Even better: Crossbow

Hell, even a good blowgun would probably make them think twice about coming back.

Then there's always the option of trapping them and finishing them off with a .22 or baseball bat as suggested prieviously.

(Disclaimer: I have absolutely zero experience with NFA-related topics. I personally don't have a use for any of them, but I admit that they are pretty neat and I'd love to have one if they didn't require such a hefty fee and paperwork. I saw this thread and figured I'd submit a few options that are less expensive and more effective than jerry-rigging a 9mm pistol suppressor to a .357mag rifle.)
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.
Old March 20, 2009, 12:29 PM   #35

If you base all your decisions on what something costs, then I completely agree; buying suppressors and building up custom guns and/or guns with custom work on them is totally unnessessary. Also, if you think that $200 is a hefty sum of money and completing a form on the front and back sides is a lot of paperwork, then NFA weapons are definitely not for you.

I however don't think like that and I don't really hang around with people that think like that. So, buying suppressors and having rifles threaded to use them makes perfect sense to me and is a great way to enjoy the hobby. Nothing personal at all, but when I read that comment "All this to kill a fox? " the first thing that occured to me is that I probably wouldn't enjoy having that guy as one of my shooting buddies. That line of thinking is the polar opposite of my line of thinking. When I see something that I think is cool I try to figure out how I can obtain one and don't make any effort what so ever to try and justify buying it for any other reason other than I think it is cool.

In the end, these decisions are up to you and how you want to persue the hobby. There are ways to enjoy this hobby for everybody and what pulls one guy's chain seems ridiculous to someone else. All you need to concern yourself with is what you like and enjoy. And hopefully the other guys with completely different ideas do likewise. It is also of great importance that we all understand that we can have differing opinions, but we all do everything we can to ensure that we all can enjoy the hobby in whatever way each one of us gets the most out of. We are all on the same side here and support each others right to choose our own niche.

Last edited by 444; March 20, 2009 at 12:39 PM.
Old March 23, 2009, 01:41 PM   #36
Willie Lowman

Quote:
Nothing personal at all, but when I read that comment "All this to kill a fox? " the first thing that occured to me is that I probably wouldn't enjoy having that guy as one of my shooting buddies. That line of thinking is the polar opposite of my line of thinking.
+1 to that. How often do the NFA guys go into the other forums and demand justification for a $3,500 race gun or a .338 elk rifle... "Wadda-ya-wanna-killa-elk-for?" Do you have a license to hunt elk? What did the elk to to you? Seems suspicious to me...:barf:

Ok I'm done.