The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 12, 2008, 12:17 AM   #1
Mike_NY

Dixie Slugs in NEF Tracker II ???

I'm probably out of my mind for even considering this but...

Does anyone shoot (or has shot) Dixie Slugs out of their NEF Tracker II? I just bought one and man, this is one light 12 GA shotgun (5.4lbs according to my Berkley digital fish scale). Now I went into this with my eyes open. I've shot 3 inch mags in lightweight shotguns before and I'm not averse to exhilerating recoil but I'm thinking Dixe Slugs, in this gun, might cross the line from exhilerating to no-frakkin-way.

Dixie has a 5 box minimum order so I'm looking for some first hand experience before I commit to a purchase. Comments about what you do shoot in your NEF Tracker II are welcome also. Thanks in advance for any replies.

........Mike
Old November 12, 2008, 04:26 PM   #2
buymore

IS the Tracker II the heavy barrel version with a scope mount or the standard barrel version with rifle sights?

If the heavy barrel version, then I'd say go for it! If the standard barrel version with rifle sights.....no "f-in" way!" I shot one of those with just regular 2 3/4" sabots and it kicked my a$$! I immediately sold it to a buddy and told him why and he said it didn't matter, he could handle it. The next monday he came to work cursing me up and down, asking me to help him sell it.
Old November 12, 2008, 06:01 PM   #3
Mike_NY

Heh heh, yeah it's the lightweight one with rifle sights (5.4 lbs).

I just took it out back and fired three 2 3/4 inch 1 oz Brenneke KOs and it felt pretty normal to me. Only slightly worse than my 20 GA double with high brass 1 oz loads. I could take more kick but the Dixies are 3 inch mags with 1.6 oz slugs so I don't think I want to invest in 25 of them before trying something heavier. I'll probably spring for a box of 3 inch mag sabots just to confirm my suspicions that Dixies are gonna be too much.

Actually I was pretty happy with the Brenneke KOs. I shot three of them offhand from 20/25 yards into a dead tree trunk laying in the back yard and grouped under 3 inches. I guess NEF did a good job of setting the sights. Can't wait to see what it does on paper when I'm really trying. $15 for 20 rounds sure beats $15 for 5. No sign of severe leading either so I might just stick with these.

Thanks for the reply.

........Mike
Old November 12, 2008, 07:35 PM   #4
dalecooper51

A few years ago I had one of those 24" NEF turkey guns with the 3.5 inch chamber. It had a lead weight in the stock, but I hated the way it handled so I took it out and probably brought the gun down to about 5.5 lbs. It was really a nice light and handy shotgun. Someone gave me a box of federal 18 pellet 3.5" buckshot. I fired two before I decided it was enough. I think the recoil pad completely flattened out against my shoulder. Even with good form, that thing kicked the crap out of me and gave me a nice black and blue mark. Still have the other 3 in a box and no plans on shooting them any time soon.

I know it's not the same as a dixie slug, but it probably thumped me about the same. If the ko's work nicely and dont lead up your barrel too badly, then go for them. No sense in whalloping yourself and developing flinch from it.
Old November 13, 2008, 01:52 AM   #5
Mike_NY

OK, I think I better correct something I said earlier...

I just ran some patches and a brush through the Tracker II and there was quite a bit of lead in the barrel after only 3 shots of Brenneke KO. Took a lot of brushing to get it all out. I didn't have any brass wool to wrap around the brush but I'm sure gonna get some. The lead came out mainly as dust but there were a significant number of lead slivers as well.

The Brenneke KOs are labeled for smoothbore AND rifled barrels and they did shoot well. I'm guessing the small contact area of the slug lands and skirt combined with soft pure lead means any slug that qualifies for smoothbore use is gonna produce the same results in a rifled barrel. Bummer.

I sure would like to see Dixie (or anyone for that matter) produce some standard 2 3/4 inch loads using a full bore hardened lead slug for less than $8 a box. Just put "rifled barrels ONLY" on the box and woe to the dummy who shoots one through his extra-full choke smoothbore. The market is wide open for an economical alternative to the absurdly expensive sabot loads.

"If wishes were horses we'd all be eating steak"...Jayne Cobb

.......Mike
Old July 5, 2009, 03:14 AM   #6
G.S.Dempsey

Dixie Slugs, Tuskers

Hi Mike,
I have the H&R with 12 and 20 ga. slug barrels. You may have all the information you desire, but I'll add my experience.
Dixie Slug's, Tuskers shoot well, and do not lead the bore. Recoil is substantial, but not overly objectionable. I live and hunt in Alaska, and think highly of Dixie Slug's, Tuskers.
The one modification I have on my H&R, is a Gunstocks Inc., Big Butt stock and Schnabel for-end. The Big Butt stock uses a Large Sims recoil pad, and has somewhere near twice the area of the original H&R butt stock. Recoil is spread over a bigger area, and with the Sims recoil pad, it dampens it quite well.
I have had three shot groups at 50 yards that make a clover leaf, but probably the average is about 3.5 inches. I plan to have a peep sight added to the 12 ga. barrel in the future, as that is what I have on my 20 ga. slug barrel. I have bifocals, and can use the peep or ghost ring better than the open sights.

Gordon

No affiliation with Dixie Slugs or Gunstocks Inc, except that I am a satisfied customer.
Old July 5, 2009, 09:47 AM   #7
TxGun

"What are ye, men or mice?" LOL. Just shoot the damn thing! There isn't a shotshell or slug made that is really going to hurt you as long as your gun is safe to shoot.
Old July 5, 2009, 12:44 PM   #8
G.S.Dempsey

Hi TXGUN,
Not only does Dixie Slugs have the Tusker, which is a dangerous game slug, but they have the Terminator, meant to be a stopping round. Recoil is Stout. 730 grains at 1200 FPS.
Just for you, I will now add, that they also have, THE LAST RESORT. Firing this slug is absolutely BRUTAL!!!!

Gordon
Old July 5, 2009, 12:57 PM   #9
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Quote:
I will now add, that they also have, THE LAST RESORT. Firing this slug is absolutely BRUTAL!!!!
Anyone care to make a youtube vid of them firing one off while sitting indian style and stock in the crotch area?... Anyone?
I will pass on any of them super hot rounds!... the ol' 2 3/4 Winchester Super X is good enuff at creating a flinch factor!
Yep I am a sissy!
Brent
Old July 5, 2009, 01:59 PM   #10
TxGun

Hi TXGUN,
Not only does Dixie Slugs have the Tusker, which is a dangerous game slug, but they have the Terminator, meant to be a stopping round. Recoil is Stout. 730 grains at 1200 FPS.
Just for you, I will now add, that they also have, THE LAST RESORT. Firing this slug is absolutely BRUTAL!!!!

Gordon

Yeah, you'd probably feel that some. But with regular 1oz. (480 gr.) slugs moving at 1600-1700 f.p.s. not being a huge deterrent, sure, I'd try the Last Resort. I also have a .458 Win. Mag (yes, I've been to Africa) and it kicks out a 500 gr. bullet at about 2100 fps and I haven't broken anything... yet . My point is, it's not going to actually injure you. Unless, of course, you decide to try 'Dogs' "special swamp stomper's technique". . That might cause you to swear off anything north of a .22 Short!

Last edited by TxGun; July 5, 2009 at 02:16 PM.
Old July 7, 2009, 08:30 PM   #11
bwheasler

Remington Accutips

I have also been to Africa and used the Accutips with great sucess. I have not used the Dixie slug so I can't be objectionable. But the Remington worked as advertised,was accurate, and is available at local reatilers.
Old July 7, 2009, 10:21 PM   #12
G.S.Dempsey

Africa (1984) I shot some plains game after concluding the business I was there for. We made some great friends and had a lot of fun.
I have a .458 also, and it is usually at hand at our placer gold claim due to brown bear visits.
Now back to slugs.
I have not found a slug that is more reliable, so I use Dixie Slugs exclusively. I do test others, but so far, the Tusker is my hunting slug. These slugs will also work well on black and brown bears, and of course hogs. I have not used them on moose yet, but that may come this fall.
Since I carry the shotgun more than I shoot it, I have migrated to the H&R single shot. That is a very light gun, and properly stocked, it is very suitable for all of Dixie's slugs.

Gordon

Post Script,
I'm looking for some hog hunting this winter. If you have an abundance of hogs in your area, maybe we could get together for a slug hunt.