The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old November 22, 2017, 08:40 AM   #1
TracerTesterman

Congress Passes bill for CMP 1911s!

https://bearingarms.com/tom-k/2017/1...1-pistols-cmp/

Can't wait to order one, I'm guessing it'll be another year or two before we actually get any.

Last edited by Tom Servo; November 25, 2017 at 09:12 AM. Reason: Needless gore reference
Old November 22, 2017, 11:09 AM   #2
southjk

I'd buy one. I don't have any 1911's but I would love to own a piece of history.
Old November 22, 2017, 08:34 PM   #3
Kreyzhorse

I'd love to have one but I have a feeling they might be priced higher than I'm willing to pay.
Old November 22, 2017, 09:37 PM   #4
mikejonestkd

They are a neat piece of history, both my brother and I own WWII vintage Remingtons. If I did not have one i would consider one from the CMP.

However, the internet scuttlebutt seems to put a pretty steep guesstimate on the CMP pricing though, I am not sure I would get one if they sell for much over a grand or so.
Old November 22, 2017, 11:41 PM   #5
lamarw

The Powers at CMP should conduct market research as to how much the M1911A1 that have by some hook or crook been liberated from Uncle Sam in the past are selling on the open market currently. Condition and originality of coponent parts shoud be considered as to what price to release them on as a fixed price basis to the Public. Particular pistols with established or known provenance should go though and open bid auction process. provide for veterans to have first claim to purchases limited to one pistol each. Provide for non-Veterans and veterans (oportunity at a second gun) a shot at thee remaining pistols.
Old November 23, 2017, 11:44 AM   #6
Pahoo

Blood is Red

Quote:
But I hope mine will have dried flakes of Nazi blood on it. Or Imperialist Japanese... I'm not TOO picky...
I'm a Navy Vet. and I like to see bad guys fall. However, I never rejoice in any man's death. I recently visited the Arizona Memorial and that was quite an experience. Was pleasantly surprised to see so many Japanese citizens there.

Be Safe !!!
Old November 24, 2017, 04:30 AM   #7
mag1911

Possibly a few nice ones in the batch but most will be pretty well used. I saw a photo online supposedly showing some and they mostly looked like parts pistols with some having modern grips, etc.
Old November 24, 2017, 05:01 AM   #8
mag1911

http://g503.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=269320
Old November 24, 2017, 08:59 PM   #9
DMK

When was the last US Govt 1911A1 manufactured? 1945?

I'd think 99% of these will be well worn mixmasters.

I still want one though.
Old November 27, 2017, 10:48 AM   #10
TracerTesterman

From this link that Mag1911 posted - http://g503.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=269320

I spy WW ONE 1911's!
Old November 27, 2017, 07:28 PM   #11
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
I spy WW ONE 1911's!
Yes, but most have been updated to arched mainspring housings, and I don't see a single one with WW1 double-diamond checkered grips.
Old December 5, 2017, 01:41 PM   #12
TracerTesterman

An update:

To all CMP constituents:

The CMP Board of Directors has discussed at length how the sales of 1911s would be handled, if the CMP were to ever receive them from the United States Army.

Some preliminary decisions further clarified:

Decisions concerning the grade and pricing of the 1911s will not be made until inspection has occurred of a substantial quantity which will take an estimated 150 days post receipt.
All laws pertaining to the sale of 1911s by CMP will be strictly obeyed.
Potential purchasers will have to provide to CMP a new set of documents exhibiting: 1) proof of U.S. Citizenship, 2) proof of membership in a CMP affiliated club, 3) proof of participation in a marksmanship activity, 4) a new form 2A with notary, 5) a signed copy of the 01 Federal Firearms License in which the 1911 will be transferred to.
A NICS background check will be performed by CMP on the customer to assure the customer is eligible to purchase prior to shipment to the FFL licensed dealer. The customer must receive a "proceed" from NICS prior to shipment of the pistol to the FFL licensed dealer.
The CMP customer will be required to complete a form 4473 in person at the FFL dealers place of business, successfully passing a NICS check performed by the FFL holder, before the pistol can be transferred. This is a second NICS check performed on the customer.
Qualified CMP customer will only be allowed to purchase one 1911 per calendar year.
No 1911s available in the CMP stores, or on line, only mail order sales.
CMP will set the date in which it will accept orders for the 1911s. The date will be posted to the world.
Orders will only be accepted via mail order delivery.
Orders will only be accepted post marked on the date or after, no early orders.
Once CMP receives 10,000 orders, customer names will be loaded into the Random Number Generator.
The Random Number Generator will provide a list of names in sequence order through a random picking process to CMP.
Customers will be contacted in the sequence provided by the Random Number Generator.
When the customer is contacted a list of 1911 grades and pricing options that are available will be offered for selection of one.
As CMP proceeds down the sequenced list less grade and pricing options will be available. Again, this done completely random.

Note: 1911 type pistols purchased from CMP cannot be transferred to 03 FFL (curio and relic) license. BATF and the United States Army prefer the second background check be performed by a "store front" FFL dealer. Each customer purchasing a 1911 type pistol from CMP will be subjected to two NICS background checks, one performed by CMP and the other performed by the FFL dealer the pistol is being shipped to.
Old December 5, 2017, 02:40 PM   #13
brian33x51

I see tons of 1911's at one local LGS I go to. I'm not sure if its just a glut of new ones they keep there or if that includes used ones they are trying to resell. I never check as I once had a colt 1911 series 80 I gave to my dad because I just didn't like shooting it. Will they price these for the collector types or will they price these to try to entice the current generation of polymer shooters who think the 1911's are just vintage guns their grandpa's shot?