The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old November 8, 2012, 11:28 AM   #1
fender1974

Where Do I Start? .223

I'm not new to firearms (handguns, shotguns and rifles), but I would like to pick-up an AR15 style rifle in the near future. I believe that I've decided to go with .223 caliber. Where should I go from here? I have not shot any and have not really started the search. I'm trying to figure out what I should be looking for? Since this would be my first AR style, I would prefer to keep the price fairly low. $700 - $800? Not sure if that's even doable for a quality AR style rifle. This would be used primairly for range use and target practice. I can't imagine needing anything like this for home defense - have an 870 for that. Any help/guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old November 8, 2012, 11:45 AM   #2
jimbob86

Quote:
$700 - $800? Not sure if that's even doable for a quality AR style rifle.
I put together my AR ffrom a stripped lower, lower parts kit, and barrelled upper reciever from Palmetto State Armory for just over $700. Had to watch and wait for the stuff i wanted to be in stock, though .....

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05.html
Old November 8, 2012, 12:32 PM   #3
moxie

You can buy a nice Bushmaster at Walmart for ~800.

Or for a few $$ more, get a really nice CMMG.

http://www.cmmginc.com/product_p/55a8433.htm

They are all pretty good. If you are an average shooter, spending more won't get you much more. Start out with one of these basics, shoot umpteen thousand rounds, getproficient, and you will figure out what upgrades, if any, you want. ARs are modular. They can easily be modified by practically anybody.

USAF Munitions 1969-1992
RVN 1972-1973
Old November 8, 2012, 01:27 PM   #4
Sweet Shooter

I bloody love AR15s now. Never used to see what the fuss was about. They do appear very consistent. It's probably a matter of handling and see which one talks to you more. My SIG M400 (the only one I have) would not let me leave without it. It was about a grand which was more than I wanted to spend. There were other guns on the counter for 300 dollars less that I would probably have been able to learn to love.

-SS-
Old November 8, 2012, 05:57 PM   #5
Bamashooter

I got this one at a LGS for $699 and I love it. Well built and very good shooter. I think these rifles and carbines are a often overlooked value.

http://www.del-ton.com/DTI_16_Carbin...rfth16-moe.htm
Old November 8, 2012, 09:48 PM   #6
2damnold4this

For $700, I'd look at S&W's M&P Sport.
Old November 9, 2012, 12:49 AM   #7
tdawg

Ditto the M&P 15 Sport. I just picked one up and it's quite nice. Palmetto State Armory also has some nice looking rifles at nice prices, but if you're out of state, you'll have to tack on the FFL transfer fee of your local gun dealer and any applicable taxes / fees.
Old November 9, 2012, 03:20 PM   #8
BillyJack3

S&W M&P Sport for $650 - $700 or PSA if they have what you need in stock. Can't go wrong either way for a budget AR that is reliable and well built.
Old November 9, 2012, 03:26 PM   #9
Keepin_Jeepin

mossberg has a good budget varmit shooter

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/77493
Old November 9, 2012, 05:01 PM   #10
UtahHunting

I will throw my vote in for the S&W M&P Sport. $630ish depending on your dealer. Has iron sights and is ready to go right out of the box. I feed mine Tul Ammo crap ammo and have no issues. In my opinion the best AR for the money.
Old November 9, 2012, 06:36 PM   #11
MB21

I would have to say to go with a Windham Weaponry SRC, or a DMPS rifle. The Windham is better than the new Bushmaster any day, and it has quite a few components better than the M&P sport. Upon speaking with a well known reviewer on Youtube (Military Arms Channel), the Windham SRC is almost identical to a Colt, which happens to be much more expensive.

It has a forward assist (M&P doesn't), a Chrome lined barrel (Bushy does too, but they are at least $300 more), and a well staked gas key.

MSRP is $1040 on the SRC, but I got mine for $770.
Old November 9, 2012, 08:26 PM   #12
Marquezj16

M&P Sport for $599

When the Sport came out people made fun of it's melonite barrel. Read up on it and learn about its benefits. The 1-8 twist means it can stabilize a wide range of bullet weight/length (I've shot 55, 62 and 75 gr fairly well with it). Most shooters will never need the forward assist or ejection port cover. If you do, then need to buy a different rifle.

The different rifle is PSA's offering for $699. 1-7 twist with chrome lining. Your basic M4 clone. They are build to order so it can take some time to ship. Like someone said, add the cost of FFL fee.

Good luck with your search.
Old November 9, 2012, 08:38 PM   #13
chad wanna dwink of wawa

+1 for M&P Sport

Someone meantioned the forward assist / dust cover that it is lacking...

For forward assist; the bolt has a knotch in the side of it, use your finger/thumb to "assist it forward" in time of need. Not as effective as a forward assist.. but doable.

Dust cover; Your not going to be crawling around in the sand of Iraq... I think you'll be fine. Unlike those actively defending the country you have a better/easier time to clean your weapon after shooting too.

Just my .02$

Chad