The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old September 16, 2012, 08:04 PM   #1
kidako

110BA 300 wm worth the $$$

I am thinking of purchasing a Savage 110BA 300 wm
If you own one - likes,dislikes,problems.reload info

If you had one, why did you get rid of, what did you replace it with

How accurate are they in 300 win mag
How far out do you shoot

thanks
Old September 16, 2012, 08:52 PM   #2
FrosSsT

I was inches from buying one after doing a ton of research. I wanted one in .338 Lapua, which was also the thing that kept me from buying due to the price. Everything I have read and heard about the 110BA is great. For a 300WinMag I might take a different route due to the price (You can grab a Rem700 and modify to have it do the same thing), but for the .338 it is one of the cheapest (but certainly not a low quality firearm) you can get. There are some youtube videos of some long range shooting with the 110BA you might want to see if you havent already.
Old September 16, 2012, 09:36 PM   #3
Blindmike

Good choice

I like the choice in rifles due to being a large fan of Savage Arms for the last 12 years or so. I own a Savage 10 Precision Carbine in 308 for the last year maybe year and a half now and can only say wonderful things about this gun. My friend Stan purchased a 110 BA in 300 Win Mag six or 8 months ago and I have got to run a few rounds through the weapon myself. All I can tell you is get one if that is the type rifle you are looking for in the gun market. I know you can spend more for a target rifle of this nature in a heart beat, Stan has a few that if I had got a gun that cost what they did my wife would have asked for it in the divorce I would have got for spending that much on a gun. I have shot all of Stans target rifles and even he has said that the Savage is dollar for dollar ever bit the fine shooter the others are for less money. Yes the others may be nicer from just standing and looking at but when the rubber meets the road you can't beat the Savage. But what do I know I only have a Savage 10 but I sure do like it a lot.
Old September 19, 2012, 06:40 PM   #4
kidako

Thanks for your replies
Old September 20, 2012, 12:41 AM   #5
allaroundhunter

What exactly do you want to use it for, and do you have any previous rifle experience?
Old September 20, 2012, 10:44 AM   #6
taylorce1

Quote:
What exactly do you want to use it for, and do you have any previous rifle experience?
That is my question pretty much. If you want a target rifle I think you can get the same thing done a little cheaper but still a good rifle for that. If you want it for hunting pass on it as it is too heavy 15.5 lbs without optics, especially if you want to carry it around for spot and stalk and still hunting. Previous rifle experience doesn't really matter to me as I feel most people buy what they think they want, so I'm over asking that one.

Quote:
likes,dislikes,problems.reload info
Likes: It is a Savage it will shoot and be accurate as long as you are.

Dislikes: Heavy, heavy, heavy, by the time you add rings, scope, and bi-pod you have a 17+ lb rifle. It is built for the "Taticool" crowd with all the extra accessory rails, not the practical crowd or LE as they are labeled. I can see the long rail on top of the barrel to work with some night vision, the ones on the sides are there just to add crap you'll never use or need in the real world. Instead of a muzzle brake on the .308 and .300 Win versions I'd like to see just a thread protector, at the weight they are there is no need for a loud brake, but I wouldn't mind putting a "can" on them.

Reloads: If you buy it you'll have to figure out what your rifle likes.

Quote:
How accurate are they in 300 win mag
How far out do you shoot
How accurate and how far they shoot: That is all dependant on what you are capable of. I can give you max range that a .300 Win Mag will throw a bullet, but that isn't what you are wanting to know. You'll figure it out for yourself when you settle in behind it and start shooting, and you'll find your max range as well. Once you know that you can start working on improving both.