The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old April 25, 2010, 09:22 AM   #1
VinnieBoomBah

Odd Enfield Mk4 serial number help please

I have a CIA import MK4, and it has almost no markings on it other than a serial number in the left wrist. That # is EA24000 followed by a triangle. I can't find anything that would indicate country of origin or, well, anything. None of the online references I can find list "EA" as valid prefix. It shoots fine & the barrel looked unfired when I got it.

My concern is that I am thinking of selling it and I want to make sure that I am not selling a rifle that 1: is potentially more valuable than I have priced it at (small chance ) or 2:, and this is my bigger concern, that it is unsafe and should be returned to CIA.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old April 25, 2010, 11:59 AM   #2
Tikirocker

Vinnie,

Forgetting the E ... it seems to me that your rifles correct serial and prefix combination is A24000, which makes it a Fazakerley No4 Mk1. Sometimes No4 markings can be messy and poorly struck which in turn leads to confusion. Without seeing images I cannot tell anything more than this for now. The triangle you are seeing might well just be the British Broad Arrow mark. If it really is a triangle, this may well indicate Iraq ownership ... I would need to see the markings.

( Look at all metal parts for small letter markings ... F, B, M, S ... etc. )

Best, Tiki.

Last edited by Tikirocker; April 25, 2010 at 12:04 PM.
Old April 26, 2010, 07:31 AM   #3
madcratebuilder

Like Tiki said with out an image it's difficult to tell. The triangle may be an A at the end of the serial number. The A suffix would mean it has one or more none standard part(s). Usually a over size pin or something minor.