The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 30, 2009, 09:15 AM   #1
mbarnold2

270 WSM and contradicting load data

I just purchased a new Tikka T3 lite Stainless rifle in 270 WSM. I have been going over some of the loading data from various sources and books. I have a good supply of 130 Grain Hornady Interlock SP. The contradiction is the Hornady manual lists a starting load of H4831 as 55.5 grains @ 2800 fps and maximum load of 62.9 @ 3100 fps. The Hodgdon website lists for the same bullet and powder with a starting load of 63 Grains @ 3085 fps and a maximum load of 67 grains @ 3228.

So basically the Hodgdon lists the starting load a tad over the max load for Hornady? Is Hornady just very conservative in their loads and Hogdon pushes the envelope? I'd like to hear what you all think I should do in this situation.
Old October 30, 2009, 09:40 AM   #2
wncchester

"...contradiction is the Hornady manual lists a starting load of H4831 as 55.5 grains @ 2800 fps and maximum load of 62.9 @ 3100 fps. The Hodgdon website lists for the same bullet and powder with a starting load of 63 Grains @ 3085 fps and a maximum load of 67 grains @ 3228"

So, they used different rifles and got some different results, no suprose there. And yours will add a third to the mix!

"Start Low and only move up....." will make any needed corrections.
Old October 30, 2009, 10:19 AM   #3
Unclenick
Staff

Welcome to the forum.

I don't have my Hornady manuals with me, but, in general, they show just one load for each bullet weight, even though the base seating depths of different shapes and COL's change the peak pressure and velocity. Therefore, they size the loads for the worst case bullet shape, which will usually be longer boattail shapes, then let all the other bullets run at lower pressure and velocity off that same load.

So, in this case, the Hodgdon data is probably better. Note that when you look at it, you need to click the "print" button to see the case and primer brand. If you don't match those, you may get higher pressure.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle

Last edited by Unclenick; October 31, 2009 at 12:11 PM. Reason: typo fix
Old October 30, 2009, 12:41 PM   #4
mbarnold2

Yes the Hornady Manual does list loads for the SST, interbond and Interlock SP for 130's.

Now I kind of knew this would happen... I already have another rifles in the 270 WSM a Winchester Featherweight and it has a rather roomy chamber and isn't fussy about how much I resize the brass and what not. The tikka on the other hand seems to have a very tight chamber. I have Hornady dies and it seems like I can't adjust down the sizer enough to bump the shoulder back so my cartridges will chamber. When I set the sizing die I bring the ram all the way up and touch the die to the ram and then an extra turn. By doing that the shoulder doesn't seem to move back. I am thinking that the die is to deep. Is there a remedy for this? Extended shell holder, or shave the die down with some sort of belt sander or something? thank you for your response.
Old October 30, 2009, 02:50 PM   #5
totaldla

Check the pressure numbers.
Old October 30, 2009, 08:00 PM   #6
hoghunting

Quote:
I am thinking that the die is to deep. Is there a remedy for this? Extended shell holder, or shave the die down with some sort of belt sander or something?
The easiest solution is to file down the shell holder. I took .007" off mine for the 300 WSM. This way if you screw up, you only replace the shell holder instead of the die.