The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 24, 2000, 10:11 PM   #1
Kingcreek

Wife and I are headed to the Casper area next week for antelope. Right now the weather looks rough, 12" snow at Casper, I-80 closed at Laramie. I've hunted the area before but my wife is getting worried. That rimrock can be tough country when weather is good.
Any reports on hunting conditions or antelope numbers? Any info appreciated.
Old September 26, 2000, 05:36 PM   #2
Ron Ankeny

I live west of Casper, in Shoshoni. Today it is 65 degrees and not a cloud in the sky. It is supposed to be nice all week, cooling down Sunday.

The numbers still aren't there, but the trophy quality is as good as ever. You can expect a great hunt with good weather and you should see quality critters. Good luck.
Old September 26, 2000, 08:46 PM   #3
Kingcreek

Thanks Ron!
We'll be hunting on the north side of the river, area 70. If I remember right, more tags issued this year and I know more hunting pressure in that area vs a few years ago. Hopefully we can get around with the truck OK.
Old September 27, 2000, 12:43 PM   #4
Dave R

I was in the Cheyenne area yesterday. Weather was delightful. Saw decent numbers of Antelope outside of town. Maybe a few less than last time I remember, but they were there.

I also saw the largest gathering of 18-wheelers I have ever seen. The roads were just opening and they were all leaving at once.