The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 22, 2009, 09:36 PM   #1
raindog

What's your favorite reloading manual?

Just starting reloading, mostly with Lee gear.

I bought the 49th Edition Lyman, which has proved a good intro, though I ended up getting data from other sources to fill in some of its gaps. e.g., for my favorite 308 bullets other manuals say "41.5 grains of IMR-4064 if you want 2600fps," while Lyman has only a suggested start and a max load, with less detail on the fps in between

Someone pointed out to me that it's missing some really common 9mm loads.

I will probably get the Lee Modern Reloading when I place my order, as you get a free single stage press with it.

What is your favorite reloading data manual and why?
Old October 22, 2009, 10:02 PM   #2
LHB1

If you use a particular brand of jacketed bullets, buying their reloading manual is a good way to go. For that reason, I prefer the Nosler reloading manual although I have five or six different manuals (which is an even better way to go).
Old October 22, 2009, 10:10 PM   #3
crowbeaner

My most used manual is the Hodgdon #26 right now, and I have a dozen or more (probably more) along with a tall stack of powder mfg. booklets. The loads are realistic with very accurate maximums and pressure readings. The newer booklets have data provided by the IMR techs, but I think they smoke something funny sometimes. The maximums are rather high on some powders and calibers, and even some of the Hodgdon loads are a bit questionable as they sometimes call for 5 full grains of powder more than I've been using for decades. Check an older manual like Hodgdon #25 against the 2008 booklet using H380 in the 22-250 with a 55 grain bullet and you'll see what I mean. CB.
Old October 22, 2009, 10:12 PM   #4
rwilson452

I have many reloading manuals. The one I use the most is the Sierra manual. Most because I use Sierra bullets the majority of the time in my rifles.

I have found that the velocity listed in the manuals is at best a rough estimate of what your gun will produce.
Old October 22, 2009, 10:36 PM   #5
Bigjim3

I have several but I like Speer the best. My 2 cents
Jesus according to Luke:22:36: Then said he unto them, ,,,,,, and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one......... Thomas Jefferson: "No man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
Old October 22, 2009, 11:00 PM   #6
Christchild

If Your Lyman manual is the 49th, is it the Pistol and Revolver Handbook, and are You loading for rifle???

The data in the Lyman Pistol and Revolver manual is a little different than most other manuals, since MOST other manuals (IF You're loading a rifle cartridge for use in "standard" barrel lengths) include data for 22", 24" and 26" barrels, and the Lyman Pistol manual is using Rifle Cartridges in Pistols.

I have Hornady, Barnes, Sierra and Nosler Manuals. My #1 favorite is the Hornady. Get the latest Hornady manual, and a few others (over time). The Hornady is very informative. I don't use ALOT of Hornady components, but they seem to cover alot af bases...

If You're using other brands of components (Barnes, Nosler, Sierra, Speer, to name a few), it's usually good to have a manual or 2 from those companies.

And Welcome to The Forum, RainDog. You're in the right place.
Old October 28, 2009, 12:49 AM   #7
totalloser

I have a few, and bought them for starting, like it sounds like you are. I have the ABC's of reloading, Sierra, Speer, and Lee's Modern Reloading.

IMO, The Lee book is the most informative. The only book that I've seen that has enough information for the novice to study, and start loading. It covers all the basics very well, and has a ton of load data. Not just for one manufacturer. I must say he gets on his soapbox and preaches heavily to the attributes of Lee products which ires me a little, but the wealth of information more than makes up for it.

The little press they give you with the book is not too tolerant of abuse, though. Make sure you don't adjust your dies too far down, it will break the top off. If you don't abuse it, it will hold up fine, but as a novice reloader, I broke mine quickly and was bummed.
Old October 28, 2009, 09:40 AM   #8
Uncle Buck

My favorite depends on what I am reloading. I use all sorts of information, from the reloading manuals, this forum, powder manufacturers, bullet manufacturers to loaddata.com, etc.

It is frustrating when you are just starting out and you are trying to find a load for a certain bullet and powder combination and it is not listed in any of your books. With components being scarce and having to use what is available, it is hard to find the correct info.

I came here to the forums and was given the info I needed and directed to where I could find the info for myself.

Although I did get one nasty reply, I took it in stride. 99.9% of the folks here have been more than helpful in providing the info I was looking for and very understanding of the needs of a new reloader.

Have fun, follow the data and welcome to the wonderful world of reloading.
Old October 28, 2009, 11:51 AM   #9
GeauxTide

#1 Nosler
#2 Speer

I like Nosler because every cartridge that I've loaded shows very closely in the chrony to the book. I use Speer when I'm starting with a new or want some lighter loads as I consider them more conservative.
Old October 28, 2009, 01:43 PM   #10
abber

I like Speer, but I have only Speer, and Hornady. I started loading ammo back in 1990, using only the Speer #11 manual. I read the entire handgun section, getting my visualizations from the various components I had. After reading and reviewing the book for a couple of days, I was off and running. The rest, as they say, is history. I made a few mistakes early on, none life-threatening, but enough to make me very acutely aware of the safety aspects. Don't cut any corners, and have fun with the addiction - um, I mean - Hobby.
Old October 28, 2009, 06:58 PM   #11
gearheadpyro

I use the hornady manual for my hornady's, sierra for my sierra's, lyman for everything, and find the powder companies information online. I sort of take a collective of all of them for my final data.
Old October 28, 2009, 07:08 PM   #12
David Wile

Hey folks,

I have a whole collection of reloading manuals that I started buying 50 years ago, and they include many editions of Lyman, Speer, Hodgden, Hornady, Sierra, RCBS, and some others. Lyman started with a manual for rifle, handgun, shotgun, and cast bullet information. Before long, Lyman started producing seperate books for shotgun and cast bullets as well as their regular metallic manual. I use all the manuals I have, including the older ones at times, but if I could only have one manual to use, it would be the regular Lyman manual for metallic cartridges.

Best wishes,
Dave Wile
Old October 28, 2009, 07:11 PM   #13
James R. Burke

I like the Nosler, but try to get one for each of the makes of bullets I am reloading. Great to cross reference also, you can't have to many. I also try to stay updated on them.
Old November 1, 2009, 06:36 PM   #14
SLCBill

from what my uncle and I have found, its best to start and stay close to the loads recomended for each bullet manufacturer. For example use Sierra info for Sierra bullets and Nosler info for Nosler bullets. I know that sounds obvious but if the book is open on the shelf at the store read up and write it down if you can't afford all the books, heck I can't buy them all either.
Old November 1, 2009, 06:57 PM   #15
jsflagstad

LEE

"Is your rifle interesting? -Larry Potterfield
Old November 1, 2009, 07:56 PM   #16
troy_mclure

i like loadbooks. i have a book for every cartrige i own except .204 ruger. i also have one for 9mm, and i dont have a 9mm yet.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old November 1, 2009, 08:11 PM   #17
That'll Do

I don't have a favorite–I prefer to cross reference between multiple manuals. I own the Lyman 49, Speer 14, Hodgdon 2009 manual, a bunch of Load Books, and a subscription to Load Data.com

The more, the merrier.
Old November 1, 2009, 08:29 PM   #18
PBKing

Well, it's unanimous...they are all good

Some more tutorial some data rich

Last edited by PBKing; November 1, 2009 at 08:52 PM.