The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 18, 2016, 05:40 AM   #1
mellow_c

Anyone know of a good SMALL slip on recoil pad?

I've got a short little 18 and 1/4" single shot shotgun. I'm looking to shorten the stock on it as well, it will still be compliant in overall length.

I'd like to add a slip on recoil pad.

the part of the stock that will be against my shoulder will probably be about 4 inches top to bottom once it's all done.

Most of the "Small" slip on recoil pads I see online are for stocks that are 4 and 1/2 inches or bigger.

Anyone know of any REALLY SMALL slip on recoil pads?

I guess I could always make one with a sock and some foam
Old June 18, 2016, 07:49 AM   #2
g.willikers

Slip on types never seem to quite fit my particular guns.
The ones that fit the closest seem to be such a struggle to put on and especially to remove,
Might just as well take the time just once to fit a regular type.
They work better, too.
It does take an electric sander to do a proper job, though.
If you don't have one it's an added expense.
That's when it's nice to have friends with tools.
Old June 18, 2016, 11:02 AM   #3
FITASC

Slip on pads move all over the place when shooting them. Get a regular pad and grind it to fit like the gunsmith would do.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old June 18, 2016, 12:28 PM   #4
T. O'Heir

"...Slip on pads move all over the place..." Not if they fit properly they don't.
Never seen anything that fit a cut down stock that small.
"...a sock and some foam..." Not cushion foam. Too soft. What would probably work is several layers of "blue foam" pads used as mattresses by back packers. Wally World sells 'em. About $10 last time I looked.
Old June 19, 2016, 03:14 AM   #5
mellow_c

So I have a slip on shotgun shell holder like this . . .

http://www.ebay.com/itm/REMINGTON-87...-/201557316764

That I will put on the gun, over the top of the slip on recoil pad, and I figure that will help hold the pad in place.

I just need to find or make a slip on pad that is no taller then 4 inches.

I'd prefer to use a slip on pad.

I'm going to cut the stock, and then file down (re drill the screw holes if necessary) and reattach the plastic but plate. So that it will be very short but still over the legal overall length requirements and still able to be shouldered.

Then with the addition of the recoil pad, it will still be very short, but not so short that it's unmanageable to shoulder and shoot. I'd like to have the slip on pad so that there is the option to simply remove it so it can be shot in an even shorter and less comfortable configuration just for fun.

I'll probably have to either modify some kind of slip on recoil pad or figure out a way to make my own.

But still... if anyone knows of any extremely small slip on recoil pads, please let me know!

By the way, if you look at the picture in the link above. My idea is that when the slip on recoil pad is attached, and then the slip on shell holder is put on over it, the front edge of the shell holder will be pretty much right up against where the hand grip part of the stock meets the rest of the straight rear part of the stock. So then you can imagine how much shorter it would be after removing the slip on recoil pad and shell holder.

I like the idea, and I think it will be a real neat and fun little package for this cheap little project.
Old June 19, 2016, 08:26 AM   #6
g.willikers

As long as you're jury rigging, take a look at computer gell filled mouse pads for a shock absorbing material.
And shoulder pads, the kind you wear.
I've used both, the mouse pads under the shoulder pad, when messing around with (ouch) 12 gauge slugs, and they work quite well.