The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 26, 2013, 09:53 PM   #1
Hawg

New toy

1863 Sharps business rifle.

Old April 26, 2013, 10:12 PM   #2
PaultheWall

Beauty

Is it a Pedersoli?

http://www.oxhilltours.com
Old April 26, 2013, 10:26 PM   #3
springfield 720

I dont think the river or a $5 bill would be good enough for that rifle.. better hold on to it..

very "sharp" looking rifle fella
Old April 26, 2013, 10:44 PM   #4
Hawg

Its an Armsport.
Old April 26, 2013, 10:45 PM   #5
Beagle333

Nifty! Pass it down to this end of the line and let me run a few through it!
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old April 27, 2013, 02:00 AM   #6
Hawg

Quote:
Nifty! Pass it down to this end of the line and let me run a few through it!
Methinks it would be wore out by the time I got it back. Actually I have to save up some more money to get a mold for it. Not many people make them and they are pricey.
Old April 27, 2013, 04:39 AM   #7
Doc Hoy

Nice find, Hawg

Can you tell us how you came by it?

Tnx,
Old April 27, 2013, 07:05 AM   #8
Hawg

Quote:
Can you tell us how you came by it?
One of the guys that hangs out on my forum and a couple of others is a gun pimp(Indy). He's always buying and trading stuff to turn a buck. He mentioned one day he had it and I said something like I'd sure like to have it and next thing I know I'm waiting on delivery.
Old April 27, 2013, 02:34 PM   #9
Doc Hoy

Cool Hawg,

Thanks for the wink back.
Old April 27, 2013, 02:43 PM   #10
Sure Shot Mc Gee

I'll have to admit you got some good tastes there Hawg. Did it come with a Vernier Sight?
Apparently your growing with the times Sir. Hello cartridge world good bye muzzle loader times. I'd be willing to take that 54 Hawken off your hands if needing a spot to store this rifle in? Yup I'd do that for yaw. No problem here in trying to help a feller out with that conundrum. (creating a storage vacancy for his new rifle)_
Old April 27, 2013, 02:57 PM   #11
Hawg

No vernier sight but it is d&t for one. I've used a vernier before but really didn't care much for it. The sporting rifle comes with a vernier sight, checkered wood, pistol grip stock and double set triggers. The business rifles aren't that fancy. I do wish it had double set triggers tho. This one breaks clean and no slop but it does have a little too much poundage on it. Get your greedy eyeballs off my Hawken, that baby ain't goin nowheres.
Old April 27, 2013, 04:16 PM   #12
Sure Shot Mc Gee

What a Jim Dandy for this coming Fall. Well its always fun having to re-tool for a new cartridge. Maybe someone here has a spare set of dies needing new ownership? Gee's I'd like to know how she shoots? What's your intentions. Are you going smokeless? or Pyro Select // Triple 777 loose with this one? Like you've said. Nice to have double sets. But so long as there is no feeling a gravely trigger pull and its trigger breaks nice and crisps. Hey so be it. _"Just another fun gun." My hats off and congrats in finding this one Sir._

S/S
Old April 27, 2013, 07:01 PM   #13
Hawg

Its not a cartridge gun exactly. Its a paper cutter. It uses paper cartridges loaded from the breech. You can use loose powder but it would be a pita to load. Smokeless is a no no and from what I've heard Pyro works but since the spark has to make two turns it slows down and kinda sounds like a poorly tuned flinter. Swiss is supposed to work really well and gives instant ignition and since I had the money and have been wanting some anyway I ordered five pounds of it.
Old April 28, 2013, 11:57 AM   #14
BirchOrr

Looks like a sweet shooter Hawg!

Congrats!
Black Powder: Not because it is easy, but because it is hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win...
Old April 28, 2013, 07:11 PM   #15
Roshi

Sweet looking rifle. Share your loading and shooting experiences with us.
Old April 28, 2013, 07:16 PM   #16
Hawg

Quote:
Sweet looking rifle. Share your loading and shooting experiences with us.
Thanks, I will but may be awhile. I have to save up for a mold and ringtail molds aren't cheap. I checked the rifling twist and its 1:52. I dunno how well that's gonna work with those big conicals but we shall see. If nothing else it should be a great round ball shooter.
Old April 29, 2013, 09:18 AM   #17
woodnbow

Hawg, I had one of those (imported by Sile) and shot bullets cast from a Dixie Gun works mold. Usually shot loose powder and didn't have any major issues with it. The gun was pretty accurate but the sights stunk... One of many guns I really regret selling..
Old April 29, 2013, 09:53 AM   #18
sltm1

Hawg, I had an Armisport paper cutter some time ago & loved but needed the $$ for some medical stuff so it's long gone. Here's a tip, before shooting and after loading, hold the rifle bbl upright and tap on the forearm a couple of times. This will get some of the powder into the cap channel and help ensure firing on the first try.
Old April 29, 2013, 10:05 PM   #19
wap41

sharps

good find,I've been thinking about one for almost a year then seeing your post really made me jealous.I was stewing about it most of the day then this evening someone contacted me with a 1863 pedersoli 54cal sporting rifle with double set triggers and also had a bullet mold for it.Needless to say it's on it way to it's happy new home and I feel much better.