The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old March 26, 2011, 06:26 PM   #26
rburch

Quote:
This thread is silly. I have this image of a homeowner donning vests, helmets and vests because they heard a noise. Not practical.
Yeah donning a tac-vest and helmet to check out a noise is a bit silly. But that's not the original point of this thread. I was asking originally if using a duty belt was practical in a home defense situation.

I've come to the conclusion, that in most cases it would be better just to grab the gun and flashlight, but it could be useful in certain situations to have a belt and holster that could be put on in just a few seconds.
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
Old March 27, 2011, 02:07 AM   #27
FM12

You go with whats best for you!! Dont worry about all the naysayers, it's your bacon you have to protect, if it takes a wheelbarrow!!
Old March 27, 2011, 04:00 AM   #28
ClydeFrog

+1 for F's remarks...

I agree, when you wake up and hear a loud noise or have a break-in, you need to act quickly. To grab a firearm, white light & cordless/cell phone seems fastest but to don a armored vest or put a utility belt on with gear isn't that big of a reach.
The violent attack/family murder(s) in CT are a good example or the reported "Craigslist" attack where a family selling a jewelry item online turned into a violent home invasion with multiple subjects.

A security plan & the proper gear are what YOU choose.

Clyde
Old March 27, 2011, 08:51 AM   #29
WC145

Just try to be a little extra careful snapping all that gear on if you sleep in the buff.
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge or jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - LtCol Jeff Cooper