The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 19, 2018, 11:23 PM   #1
huntinaz

AZ Cow Elk Down!

I love the fall. It's hunting season

A coworker has been interested in hunting for a few years, he finally got serious and put in for elk this year. As luck would have it he was drawn for a very good antlerless hunt.

My dad and brother were able to set up camp a day before the hunt and the evening glassing session yielded promising results. Screenshot of our text evening before the hunt:

We left my house at 0445 this morning and hit the woods. My dad and brother were already on the hill glassing when we showed up at daybreak. I got them on the radio and sure enough, before we had parked they had a herd of elk spotted. We got out of the truck and immediately could hear elk bugling from where they said the elk were. Excitement was high.

After a pretty short walk our guides had us spotted and said we were on a path to intercept the herd when a heavy fog set in on the hll they were on and they lost visual of us. We were still a ways from where they could see elk but a bull let out a bugle within 200 yards of us so we stopped and waited. Before long we could see some cows feeding casually towards us and could hear cows and calves chirping so we posted up and waited. The herd of elk was huge and they were about to feed around us. Bulls bugling everywhere. Perfect.

After about 10 minutes a cow and calf cleared the trees and I could see by John's posture he had a shot.

"Can you kill that cow?"
"Yes"
"Smoke her"

He damn sure did. 105 yards, he squeezed the trigger and she collapsed. We'd been out of the truck maybe 20 minutes.

Rifle is a Ruger Scout in 308, suppressed, factory 165gr Hornady GMX did the trick.

The rest of the herd hadn't seen us so we just sat there for awhile and the elk gathered up slowly and took their time leaving. We listened to elk call and bugle for another 15 minutes while my dad and brother got the to the truck and made their way to us. Gutted her out, loaded her up and headed for the hanging tree.

John made a good shot and he wants to do it again

We got home in time to cut up the hind quarters, have a full day of butchering tomorrow and then off to scout the Kaibab for next week's deer hunt. I couldn't be happier.

I love to hunt elk, and that's that.

Last edited by huntinaz; October 19, 2018 at 11:38 PM.
Old October 20, 2018, 03:41 PM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

That's awesome... you all saw more elk in one short hunt than I've ever seen in my whole damn life!

That must have been amazing having them all around like that... suppressed .308 doesn't even scare them. That's awesome.

Congrats!
Old October 20, 2018, 04:51 PM   #3
FrankenMauser

Very nice.
Suppressors sure do change the reactions of other animals in the area.
Old October 20, 2018, 06:14 PM   #4
Jack O'Conner

Good shooting!

Jack
Old October 20, 2018, 07:01 PM   #5
NHSHOOTER

Congratulations on a great hunt, maybe someday I will get a chance at a elk..
Old October 20, 2018, 09:43 PM   #6
Dano4734

Wonderful