The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 29, 2018, 09:35 AM   #26
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Quote:
All about speed and 200yd accuracy? have you tried a 150gr 270 bullet?
Shooting the 150 gr? That's the heaviest suggested bullet weight of all 270 suggested bullet weights~~? (So disappointing when a 270 shooter knowingly drops the velocity on his favorite rifle too accommodate the heaviest bullet weight possible. For that purpose I would switch to using my 30-06 with 150 gr. That rifle favors 150 gr weight. "A bullet weight the 270 Win doesn't."

Quote:
I think for the most part people have a problem as they want speed and then choose to light a bullet to get it.
Don't know of any other way to increase velocity? As told: "The bigger a powder charge is. The better your rifles performance" Considering all those sweet spots in accuracy that you may not be aware of.

Quote:
Might consider the 130gr bullet but drop the velocity down to maybe 2900 fps. That's still fast at 200yds, may be more accurate
More accurate. No sir it isn't.

3200fps is a low end threshold that many varmint hunters prefer there ammo to be at or faster for their rifles flattest trajectory and to achieved a higher energy stat.
Speculating I am: "Anything less than 3200. Equals a 30wcf's down range performance."

To be quite honest there is {not} one center-fire big game cartridge in this residence that has a velocity less than 3200 at muzzle.
"Then again load those cartridges your comfortable with >their using."

Last edited by Sure Shot Mc Gee; October 29, 2018 at 09:40 AM.
Old October 29, 2018, 10:34 AM   #27
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I’m a big fan of light and fast but I’ve loaded a fair variety of bullets weights in a fair variety of guns. 35gr .22-250 over 4,500fps, the powder charge outweighs the bullet... 139gr 7mm-08 with Trail Boss in a 15” Pro Hunter... rainbow trajectory but quite accurate at 100... and quite a few in between. .30-06, .270WSM, .243, .204Ruger, etc

I’m no expert, to be sure, but I can say one thing with reasonable certainty... neither bullet weight (presuming appropriate weight/twist) nor velocity are directly correlated with accuracy.

I see a lot of guys talking about how best accuracy is often under max load... well yeah... max load is a single data point, with perhaps 50 reasonable points (0.1gr increments) below it... in that case, the odds are about 2% that the best accuracy will be “max”. Should a reloader decide, at their own discretion and risk, to exceed that “max” load, there is every chance that they will find “most accurate” at some higher data point.

There’s nothing magical about “slower”. It’s just statistics.