The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 10, 2018, 04:03 PM   #1
Poconolg

Powder Dispensers

My old Lyman dispenser has died. Which is better a Lyman Gen 6 or a RCBS. My Lyman worked good for about 15 years. What are the opinions out there on powder dispensers?
Old November 10, 2018, 04:05 PM   #2
m&p45acp10+1

I have the Hornady model. If it ever goes out I will replace it with the Lyman. I have not heard of anyone that owns one complaining about it. The RCBS would serve one well too.
Old November 10, 2018, 05:54 PM   #3
G26

I have an older Lyman 1200 DPS 2 and find it very accurate. Every time I set it up I check it against a beam scale and it is alway bang on. I have used a rcbs cm and like the Lyman more.. The Lyman do have a long warm up time I believe though.
Old November 11, 2018, 08:54 AM   #4
daboone

The only electronic I've used is the Gen 6 which I've had for 5 years. 98% of the time it dispenses .1 grain below what is set. It takes 3 minutes to warm up. It's as fast as my CO-AX loading skills. I also use it a lot as a scale just to check bullet weights, Mec sizemaster and 550 loads.
It was a gift from my SIL that at the time I didn't want. Gotta admit I've changed my mind.
Old November 11, 2018, 09:18 AM   #5
Nathan

I have the Hornady. I have had it for ~7 years. No issues. I would replace with the same, unless there was something faster available.
Old November 11, 2018, 10:52 AM   #6
cw308

I have the RCBS ChargeMaster 1500 & GemPro 250 to double check . 1500 is going strong for over 13 years , I dump the charge from the 1500 into the pan on the 250 to fine tune my rifle loads . Using IMR 4064 I can load all to 40.84 grains. One grain of 4064 is .02 grains .
Old November 11, 2018, 11:41 AM   #7
hmonnier

I have and love the measure from dillon #20782. I have it on an 'old' Lyman press "Spar-T". Works like a charm, solid measurements. Been using it for 15+ years.....
Old November 11, 2018, 11:54 AM   #8
RC20

I have the Lyman Gen 6. Its ok, the touch pad is best done with a stylus.

Its reasonably accurate and you don't have to tune it (Horandy)

I tend to use it for my establish loads as it ranges +.1 or -.1 variation.

What I don't like is you punch in the load, and you have to know what it is as there is no indicator saying whats in the machine. No matter where it comes to rest there is no out or range signal.

Nice basic machine. I am not sorry I have it, but its kind of a mixed thing

I don't have an RCBS so I can't comment how it compares

I do have a Hornady and it has some nice feature like a bleep when done and the load is on (green light) or a double bleep and a bad load. When it works its accurate to a grain (as set)

It has some tuning issues and fails to hold values when you reset a load so its also irritation in a different way.

I have learned what numbers to punch in to get max speed.

The Gen 6 and the Hornady are about equal speed wise. Gen 6 faster sometimes but less accurate (if you are in a wide enough node it makes no difference.

I don't know if RCBS is any different in that regard, ie. has annoying features though I believe when programs it stays programed.

I sure do like them though, both were on very good sales in the $140 to 160 range.

I tend to run both at the same time, as most trail loads are 4 tenth different (sometimes 5) its variation is not an issue.

The Horandy has little buttons that are a bit hard to punch with my fat fingers.
Old Yesterday, 05:31 PM   #9
Average Joe

I have the RCBS Uniflow and am happy with it.