The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 10, 2018, 10:14 PM   #1
AL45

Fox Model B lock lever left of center

Recently I bought a Fox Model B 20 Gauge side x side off Gunbroker. I saw the gun right at the end of the auction and bid without carefully looking over the pictures. I assumed that since there were over 30 bids it must be a good deal and I have been looking for a side x side such as this. After placing the winning bid I went back and took a better look at the pictures. The picture that really stood out was the one that showed the locking lever left of center. I called the seller and got one of his employees. He said he checked the gun out and said it locked up tight. The seller has hundreds of very good reviews and no negatives and my FFL dealer is also a gunsmith and he said even if it needs repaired, it shouldn't be a big deal. This gun will be only used for a little Quail hunting. Am I looking at a costly repair on this particular gun, or do you think it's probably good to go as is?
Old November 10, 2018, 11:30 PM   #2
FrankenMauser

If it locks up tight, it should be fine. Down the road, it may be a minor repair to tighten things up if it gets loose. But it's not a 'total rebuild' scenario that will cost more than a kitchen remodel.
Old November 11, 2018, 02:32 AM   #3
ammo.crafter

sly fox

Have the same sxs shotgun with a slightly left cant as well. It's never been an issue.

Do you know the manufacture date? !967-68 were made by Beretta in Italy and are fine shotguns.
Old November 11, 2018, 02:43 AM   #4
Blindstitch

I have the 12 gauge model that had a slight locking problem and one thing I learned was the thing it's called a top snap/ lock lever was screwed in from the inside middle of the action. Sometime over time the screw backed out a turn or two so I tore it all the way down and replaced some of the parts and screwed it back together tight and it has worked great for the past 3 or so years.

The one thing that was a pain was you need a flathead allen screwdriver to put it back in.

These guns are work horses so things are probably fine.
Old November 11, 2018, 02:50 AM   #5
AL45

Thanks for the input. The gun was made in Chicopee Falls, which according to my research means it was made between 1948 and 1960. I don't have the gun yet and can't tell from the picture what the stamp is.