The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 11, 2017, 02:18 AM   #1
Glockgreat23

Ultimate 9mm suggestions

I own quit a few handguns but want advice on building the ultimate carry gun. My only restrictions are it should be block 19 ish in size and 9mm. I don't mind buying a gun and shipping it off for some aftermarket tuning if necessary. It has to be exceptionally reliable and I'd like it super slick in function. No 1911 platforms, however. I'm thinking of a slicked up CZ-75 but interested in other thought. Thanks in advance, if you have ideas
Old February 11, 2017, 03:07 PM   #2
Scorch

Take a look at Agency Arms. They have a few pretty cool semi-custom toys for reasonable prices.
Old February 11, 2017, 05:55 PM   #3
Budshad

Hey buddy. If you like the CZ75 feel then you will dig the IWI Jericho. IWI are the fine Israeli folk that brings us the Tavor. Solid company. I mean, hey, they have God in their corner.
Old February 11, 2017, 11:09 PM   #4
Glockgreat23

Good point

With god on their side, I'll have a close look!
Old February 12, 2017, 12:28 AM   #5
dakota.potts

Since you're in the Smithy section, I imagine you're OK with some semi-custom work.

I carry a P-01 and if I wanted to do a "slicked up" version of it, I'd have a cajun gun works trigger package installed along with tritium/fiber optic sights and maybe some internal stoning in any wear points to slick up the action.

Not a whole lot needs to be done to the CZ in my opinion, but those would seal the deal for me. You could always get the suppressor ready one in urban grey that has suppressor sights and a threaded barrel. Or get one and have a custom cerakote job done on it. It's about the size of a Glock 19 and mine carries very comfortably, even for me being a small guy.
Old February 12, 2017, 02:22 AM   #6
1stmar

Cz is a great platform w a lot of options. I bought a canik for $350 off gb. Pretty hard to beat as a starting point. While I really like the pistol, for me it is not ideal. The grip/trigger reach is too big/long. DA is almost impossible for me to get off an accurate first shot. SA is obviously much better but still uncomfortably long trigger reach for fast work. I have small hands and I replaced the factory grips w lava grips. It helps but not enough for it to be a competition gun for me.

There are sa only models from cz and there are trigger works that can assist with this. Again, I have a small hand so ymmv. Just FYI. If the gun fits you well it's a great alternative to 1911.

As far as striker fired pistols go, I picked up a 320rx and it feels great, especially w the small grip module. Worth a look.
Old February 12, 2017, 09:35 AM   #7
Jim Watson

I think the CZ75 series guns are great shooters, but I am way past carrying an all steel gun.
I'd hang on until the P10 hits the shelves. If I just had to have something now, I'd look at the Walther PPQ.
Old February 13, 2017, 08:25 AM   #8
CowTowner

I have a CZ-75BD Police and a Canik LS120. The way to treat yourself with either is pay a visit to https://cajungunworks.com/
I loved the CZ right from the start. But after fitting some Cajun parts, the gun really is a dream to shoot. So is the Canik.
And I do own a Jericho 941 and an original Magnum Research Baby Eagle.
As well as an EAA Witness - another CZ clone
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old April 30, 2017, 01:08 AM   #9
CTBob-M

Jericho 941

The Jericho 941 AKA "The Hebrew Hammer"
Old April 30, 2017, 02:10 AM   #10
armoredman

If you want a CZ style ultimate carry pistol you have a couple of options;
CZ Custom ProTek I or II. The I is built from a PCR and the II is built from the more squarish and rail equipped P01.

https://czcustom.com/new-firearms/cz...k-1-black.html

Out of stock at the moment...and the price tag is a little high.

Second is the Cajun Gun Works version for half the price. I have two pistols customized by Cajun Gun Works and I am very happy with them.

https://cajungunworks.com/product/91...ackage-946-00/

That's if you want off the shelf.
Old April 30, 2017, 07:39 AM   #11
CowTowner

Quote:
Jericho 941
The Jericho 941 AKA "The Hebrew Hammer"
I have the .41 AE conversion kit for it too. Lack of affordable ammo or brass is the issue with it.
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy