The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 7, 2016, 06:36 PM   #1
olddav

Creative thinking or just ....

I am wondering if a Lee collet die for a 338 win mag can be used for a 338-06. I know that I would have to shorten the die as the 338 Win Mag is longer and I would have no way to bump the shoulder back (50° -CENSORED-ver 35°).-CENSORED-
Just to head off one suggestion, yes I know a 338-06 collet die can be purchased.

What am I missing?
Old September 7, 2016, 07:00 PM   #2
nhyrum

Seems to me all you're missing is a die grinder/dremel/hack saw/sawzall and a few free hours

Now the neck... The steeper angle will bet an issue... For the cartridge to chamber, there would have to be an asston of free bore not to mention bad head space. I'm thinking the rounds *SHOULD* fit and then be fire formed with the proper neck angle (but all sorts of stuff screwed up) but the real issue would come when you run it through the press again and redo that bad shoulder angle.

Now, you could probably use a 338-06 die to form 338 win mag brass to 338-06

But I am not versed in either cartridges

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Old September 7, 2016, 07:34 PM   #3
dahermit

Quote:
I am wondering if a Lee collet die for a 338 win mag can be used for a 338-06. I know that I would have to shorten the die as the 338 Win Mag is longer and I would have no way to bump the shoulder back (50° -CENSORED-ver 35°).-CENSORED-
Just to head off one suggestion, yes I know a 338-06 collet die can be purchased.

What am I missing?
I investigated the same thing with .308 Winchester and 30-06. It was apparent when examining the die that the collet for neck sizing is actuated by the shell holder. In other words, the collet for the longer case would have to be shortened, not the die body. The collet is undoubtedly hardened (spring temper), and if one messed around with it, the result would more likely be to ruin it than to end up with something usable... and then it would not long work for the longer case. If I were you (and I am not...its your money), I would go ahead and buy a 338-06 Lee collet die and be done with it.
Old September 7, 2016, 07:54 PM   #4
olddav

I found a cross section drawing of the die and now see the error of my ways. Maybe I should have looked at that first.
Old September 7, 2016, 07:59 PM   #5
HiBC

I'm curious as to why you would want to.

If you could overcome all of the other challenges,IMO,for the sake of straight and concentric ammo...
Wouldn't you prefer the case body to be supported and located by the die body?

With the .338 Win mag die there is clearance all around the 338-06 case body.Assuming you are just trying to size the neck,what assures the neck will be co-axial to the case body?
Old September 7, 2016, 08:13 PM   #6
olddav

Cost!
A collet die for a 338-06 cost about $85.00 to $100.00 dollars, Lee sells a collet die for $41.00 dollars. I grew up making do with what I could find and I have never broke the habit!