The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 7, 2015, 01:46 PM   #1
slushbilly

malfunctions with reloads

I have a glock 17 9mm gen 4. I have started to do my own reloads. I am using hodgdon tite group powder, cci 500 primers, and rainier 115 grain round nose bullets. I am loading to the spec on hodgdon's website. 3.9 to 4.3 grains at 1.100 OAL. I am loading at 4.1. I went shooting today and was having issues with ejecting. I would have to manually cycle the slide. When the old case came out, it was very black on the outside. They only looked like this on an ejection failure.

Any ideas?
Old September 7, 2015, 01:55 PM   #2
higgite

Under charged? How do you check your powder charge weights? How often do you check them?
Old September 7, 2015, 01:58 PM   #3
T. O'Heir

One of the Glock guys will be along(reloading for Glocks is supposedly an art form.), but "very black on the outside." indicates insufficient pressure for the case to seal in the chamber.
Doubt it has anything to do with anything you did, but the Titegroup maybe the culprit. Not a Glockist myself so it's just a WHAG.
Old September 7, 2015, 02:26 PM   #4
slushbilly

I am using the lee breech lock loader with the lee safety powder scale. I check the weight every time I start loading.
Old September 7, 2015, 02:44 PM   #5
Hammerhead

Generally, smoked cases and failures to eject are indicators of low pressure.
You're using lead data for what I assume is a plated bullet. Plated bullets generally are slower than lead with the same charges. The jacketed data goes up to 4.8 grains Titegroup. I would go to 4.3 grains and try again.
Old September 7, 2015, 03:51 PM   #6
Clark

Wimpy recoil spring marry up with wimpy loads.
Medium recoil springs marry up with medium loads.
Stiff recoil springs marry up with hot loads.

You can change the load or change the spring to get them to match.
It is best when the ejected case land 5 feet from the shooter.
If the case lands too far away, get stiffer springs or wimpier load.
IF the case lands too close or fails to eject at all, get wimpier springs or hotter loads.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old September 7, 2015, 04:14 PM   #7
MarkGlazer

Hammerhead nailed it. Looking at the Rainer site, I validated that they don't sell lead cast bullets (haven't used their product previously), only jacketed. Pulling data from the Hodgon web site, they are employing a Speer bullet (HP) and starting at 4.5 grains with a max of 4.8. Try the midpoint of 4.6/4.65 since you have very narrow range and see where that gets you.

When you to purchase lead cast bullets, you'll have a bit more room to work with.

Good luck. Be safe.
Old September 8, 2015, 08:38 PM   #8
jepp2

Quote:
and rainier 115 grain round nose bullets. I am loading to the spec on hodgdon's website. 3.9 to 4.3 grains at 1.100 OAL.
Have you calculated your bullet seating depth? Using OAL as a guide with a different bullet can case a significantly different result. You have signs of insufficient pressure. So you can either increase your charge or reduce your OAL. Either will increase the pressure.